Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Patterns say "pick up and knit". Are you supposed to pick up a stitch and knit it before you go on to pick up more stitches? Or are you supposed to pick them up and start knitting when you're done picking up. The pattern I'm using says to pick up stitches all the way around the opening in a cardigan. I know - another dumb question probably but......
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,760 Posts
I knit each stitch as I pick it up. Mostly out of habit because they don’t always go all the way around. In this case you could do either.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20,203 Posts
If you were picking up stitches for a neckline that you want evenly spaced, I would think you would just pick up the stitches and have the live stitches on your needle.

To me, pick up and knit means just that. Insert the needle into the fabric, bring it onto your needle and knit it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,724 Posts
“Pick up & knit” (PU&K) means knit each stitch as you pick it up, before picking up the next stitch. As a child, I was taught the other way (pick all up and then knit). I like PU&K much better; it gives a nice even result.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
To all of you - Thank you so much! If I ever get through this sweater (and it's an easy pattern, they say) it will be because of all the help I've gotten here on KP. God Bless you all!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19,986 Posts
IMHO do what works and gives the desired result. I think others agree. This video might be of interest.

Pick Up vs Pick Up and Knit vs Knit Up

eta I find the term pu&k confusing. I had an aha moment and realized that this is actually a cast on. Getting loops on the needle to knit is the goal. Happy knitting.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,974 Posts
Casey47 said:
Patterns say "pick up and knit". Are you supposed to pick up a stitch and knit it before you go on to pick up more stitches? Or are you supposed to pick them up and start knitting when you're done picking up. The pattern I'm using says to pick up stitches all the way around the opening in a cardigan. I know - another dumb question probably but......
Pick up and knit is doing one at a time. It is so that you will be headed in the right direction for the next row/round and on the correct side. Some patterns will have you pick up all stitches, then the next row is to knit/purl them all.
When I am doing a collar with no shaping, I will do it either way. But when there is shaping to it, it does matter.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,064 Posts
both are correct, it depends on the pattern. If it tells you to "pick up 'xxx' sts," do so...the directions for the following row will come next and could be anything. If it says, "pick up and knit 'xxx' sts," then pick up each and knit it...both are used for different effects.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,401 Posts
jmcret05 said:
If you were picking up stitches for a neckline that you want evenly spaced, I would think you would just pick up the stitches and have the live stitches on your needle.

To me, pick up and knit means just that. Insert the needle into the fabric, bring it onto your needle and knit it.
Well put!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,543 Posts
Very good vidio showing the best way to pick up stitches but when you pick up stitches around a neck you have a slope to pick up on side of neck where decreases have been done to shape the round neck.I always seem to have holes showing here.Any body know a neat way to do this .If I go down a row I then get a thick ridge on wrong side.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,306 Posts
I read (somewhere) recently that to pick up could mean to pick up portion of the existing fabric to make stitches and to pick up and knit uses an added strand of yarn to create the stitches.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,209 Posts
please clarify:
if you are just picking up the stitches, they all end up on the right hand needle. if you pick up and knit, you would pick up a stitch and then you would have to put that loop that you picked up and put it back on the left hand needle in order to knit it. Do I understand that correctly?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,306 Posts
Same thing. They end up on the right hand needle either way. Your yarn is in position to start knitting. You do have to put that full needle in your left hand just like at the end of a normal row. You're not knitting each stitch when you have just created it, but after you have them all.
agioblas said:
please clarify:
if you are just picking up the stitches, they all end up on the right hand needle. if you pick up and knit, you would pick up a stitch and then you would have to put that loop that you picked up and put it back on the left hand needle in order to knit it. Do I understand that correctly?
 
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom