Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Discussion starter · #1 ·
Is there a hint about the edges of knitted work that I don't know? I have tried slipping the first stitch of each row and making sure that the first and last stitches are snug, but I still don't like the uneven way the edges of my work looks! Any suggestions out there!

Slipping purlwise works for me.

KarenSchultes said:
NO! I will try that and thanks for the 'quick reply!' Happy Thanksgiving!!
Not a problem. I'm avoiding taking care of my autistic son, feeding my cats, and going into the kitchen where a 13 lb. turkey is waiting in the fridge.

For the smoothest edges, be sure to not only slip the first stitch as though to purl, but to put the yarn to the back between the needle tips. That will result in a 'chain' up the edge.

Also - knit the last stitch in the row no matter what stitches are used in the pattern. It sets the first stitch up for slipping purl wise.

KarenSchultes said:
Is there a hint about the edges of knitted work that I don't know? I have tried slipping the first stitch of each row and making sure that the first and last stitches are snug, but I still don't like the uneven way the edges of my work looks! Any suggestions out there!
I don't know why, but I've always slipped my last stitch and knitted the first stitch. Very neat edges. Also, don't forget to cast on the extra stiches to make the pattern come out right. :)

goodydock said:
KarenSchultes said:
I don't know why, but I've always slipped my last stitch and knitted the first stitch. Very neat edges. Also, don't forget to cast on the extra stiches to make the pattern come out right. :)
This is what I do, also. I slip the last stitch purl-wise and knit in the back loop of the first stitch. I get a nice chain on the edge that I like.

goodydock said:
KarenSchultes said:
This is what I do, also. I slip the last stitch purl-wise and knit in the back loop of the first stitch. I get a nice chain on the edge that I like.

KarenSchultes said:
I always knit the first & last stitch of every row regardless what the pattern says. It leaves an even edge that you can match up when sewing together.

If you prefer not to slip stitches at the edge for whatever reason, here is a nice trick: knit the first stitch regularly, but give an extra tug on the yarn when knitting the second stitch as follows:

First, a review.... To make a knit stitch, you 1)insert the right needle into the next stitch on the left needle; 2)yarn over on the right needle; and 3)pull the new stitch through. I know you know this, but bear with me.

Put your right needle into the second stitch as you normally would in step 1, but before you do the step 2 yarn over, give that yarn a little tug first. This tightens up the first stitch, which is the one that always looks raggedy. Finish working the second stitch as you normally would, meaning complete that yarn over, and proceed across the row. You will be surprised how neat your edges are if you remember to always tug and snug when working that second stitch.

The works very well for garter borders, which are common on scarves and shawls.

Funny. I read a post somewhere here quite a while back that suggested purling the last stitch, no matter what the pattern says and then slipping the first stitch knitwise. It is essentially the same thing only different! :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom