Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone please help me understand raglan seaming. I have tried the mattress stitch but it looks a mess. I have searched for a video as I do better watching something in action. This is a hoodie from Lion Brand and I can't figure it out.

Thanks Jean B

·
Registered
525 Posts
I've only used that type of sleeve once but you seam it like any other sleeve except there should be about 2 or 4 stitches left on the very top for the collar to connect to. That's how mine was anyway and I was using worsted weight (US).

·
Registered
11,389 Posts
A "woven" seam works best for raglan sleeve inset. To do this you do not lay the pieces right sides together and seam, you lay them side by side and "weave" from one piece to the other (on the wrong side). This makes for a very nice seam that is not bulky.

·
Registered
7,116 Posts
(((((((((( I didn't see a video here, but there are how-tos:

http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy&hl=en&q=raglan%20seaming%20video&aq=&aqi=&aql=&oq=&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=87a89c5b1abc39eb&pf=p&pdl=300

Good luck!
~~~~~~~~

grandmausa said:
Can someone please help me understand raglan seaming. I have tried the mattress stitch but it looks a mess. I have searched for a video as I do better watching something in action. This is a hoodie from Lion Brand and I can't figure it out.

Thanks Jean B

·
Registered
8 Posts
In the future, I'd suggest trying a raglan pattern knit from the neck down on circular needles--this means there are no seams, just 4 sets of increases until you hit the underarm. (I hate seams, probably because I'm bad at them; once I tried a top-down raglan, I knew I would never go back!)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom