Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22,470 Posts
Are you working with a pattern that has raglan sleeve directions?

If not, there are many raglan sleeve patterns online that are free.

Also, put raglan sleeves how to knit them into the search bar and you will find numerous sources for instructions. I know this is pretty generic info but it seems that your question needs some careful reading on this style technique.

Reading patterns is like reading recipes. They inform us of the process while giving us some direct 'how to' process. I always do this when learning something new before jumping in to a trial. I will often do a sample of the stitch or technique in knitting or crocheting something. Then when beginning my project, I have a notion of what I am trying to accomplish.

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
The first row sets up the routine with the markers in place, be sure to move them when you reach them. Your second row is purl all stitches. Your third row instructions will be in your pattern. You keep the single stitch between the markers knit on the right side and purled on the wrong side of the work. Your increases are done before the marker, or in the last stitch before the marker, or after it, move the marker, knit 1, move the marker to the left needle and increase before the next stitch. If your pattern doesn't tell you how to increase, there are ways to do this. Usually the pattern tells you which one. The easiest one is M1,which means Make 1 and you do that by knitting to the marker, with your right hand needle pick up the loop between your last stitch and the marker, put it on the left needle with a twist and knit in the back of the loop, you have just made a new stitch. Move the marker, knit 1, move the next marker and repeat the M1, Make 1 and proceed to the next marker.
Increases are usually done on every right side row but read your pattern in case there are some plain knit rows. Trust your pattern directions and come back for more help when you need it.

Carol J.

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
I taught knitting for years and beginners need something explained word for word and I love helping them. I won't be on the forum all next week, taking a trip to central Pennsylvania to visit DH's family but I am taking lots of yarn and needles along. Everybody keep busy and I will talk to you all in a week.

Carol J.

·
Registered
172 Posts
sassyknitter297 said:
Hi I am new to this forum and am hoping I am doing this correctly.
I am trying to knit my husband a V-neck sweater. It has a Raglan seem st that I know nothing about. Could someone help me.
I've made many raglans and always from the top down. With this method there is an increase stitch before and after each marker every other row. You can use any increase method you prefer as long as you are consistent. I usually do either a yarn over or a knit in front then back. Both methods looks nice.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom