Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
11,389 Posts
It makes for a lovely "edge" that doesn't roll. I made an interesting sleeveless top that used the slip stitch edge along the armholes, rather than adding a "band" (which never seems very complimentary to shoulders). I fell in love with that edge ever since!

· Registered
11,389 Posts
I use a "one stitch" selvage edge when I knit sweaters...particularly "pieced" sweaters...along the body seam edge and the sleeve seam edge I start and end every single row with a k stitch. This will NOT affect any stitch pattern but creates a nice selvage edge that makes seaming so much easier.

The slipped stitch edge is wonderful for sleeveless tops and some scarves too!

· Registered
11,389 Posts
Jean, you slip "purlwise" as if to purl the stitch...it does help keep the rolling under control.

I'm currently going through a mess with copyrighting some patterns for publication..one is a cabled scarf. Making a "selvage" edge is important to keep rolling minimal. You can start and end every row with a knit stitch to create a nice edge that won't interfere with your cable pattern or do the "slip stitch" edging. I really prefer the begin and end with a knit stitch..but that's just a personal thing.

· Registered
11,389 Posts
The slipped stitch edge doesn't always roll. I've used it on sleeveless tops and it works just fine.

KCL, you slip the FIRST stitch and ONLY the first stitch so you will NOT be slipping the same stitch every time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom