Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read somewhere that somebody had trouble wrapping a cone. I'm a bit late in answering sorreeeeee. OK, if you wrap the yarn in a lump on the cone it will not work. You are trying to draw off yarn on a lump from off a taper. It will always just pull the lump off, however if you wrap the yarn from top to bottom and back in two or three turns it should be fine.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
No idea who asked the question, but that is good advice Don, thanks. I have a cone of very fine yarn and I am debating what to make with it as I do not have a knitting machine but the price was certainly right. So in my stash it sits. Hope I never have to frog it much. :)

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
I bought a cone of very fine wool and I have a shawl pattern from Piecework that I bought to do. I hope to do this for my sister's Christmas present as it cost quite a bit of money. She is worth it.

·
Registered
776 Posts
SylviaC said:
No idea who asked the question, but that is good advice Don, thanks. I have a cone of very fine yarn and I am debating what to make with it as I do not have a knitting machine but the price was certainly right. So in my stash it sits. Hope I never have to frog it much. :)
this what I do when I have very thin yarn I used coned yarn a lot as you can often get it cheaply. This is a way of making the single yarn into 3 times thicker yarn. very helpful

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
mavisb said:
I bought a cone of very fine wool and I have a shawl pattern from Piecework that I bought to do. I hope to do this for my sister's Christmas present as it cost quite a bit of money. She is worth it.
I just finished knitting from cone to make a shawl..if I had to do it over I would take have taken the wool off the cone and allowed it to rest, then put it into center pull balls..it was nice that I had no ends to deal with..but the yarn, fingering weight, kept kinking on me..learned that the longer the length of yarn off of the cone the more it would kink..ended up putting the cone on a Yarn spinner ( a mini lazy susan, in walnut) and keeping the un-worked yarn length as short as possible. Now that the shawl is done..that yarn is off the cone and resting in skeins!...it was not an expensive yarn..it was lion brand...the shawl turned out nice though..photo of it in the Ashton shawl KAL thread.

The rest of the yarn will be made up into socks...

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
mrscp1946 said:
SylviaC said:
this what I do when I have very thin yarn I used coned yarn a lot as you can often get it cheaply. This is a way of making the single yarn into 3 times thicker yarn. very helpful

I have that video already, what a great idea it is too. I used to wrap two threads together and I didn't realise at that time that you could make your own centre pull balls...they would have been so helpful when I was crocheting the boys' afghans.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
Northernrobin said:
learned that the longer the length of yarn off of the cone the more it would kink..ended up putting the cone on a Yarn spinner ( a mini lazy susan, in walnut) and keeping the un-worked yarn length as short as possible.

I use a paper towel holder and that works really well. Got a metal one for $1 at Dollarama.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
mrscp1946 said:
SylviaC said:
Thank you mrscp1946. I have a cone of orange superfine that i didn't know what to do with. Now, after I get the dust off the top layer, I will make something with it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom