Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't had a chance to read through the entire forum yet but right off hand I would love to find info on How to read a written knit pattern. Charts would be helpful but basically I am trying to understand how to read a pattern as well as what some of the terms mean to do in execution of the technique.

I am also just recently picking up knitting again after many years and have found loom knitting as well. It would be great to address loom patterns and how to turn a needle pattern into a loom pattern whether it be round loom or knitting board. I know I am asking a lot being new but would so appreciate the info.

Luv

·
Registered
955 Posts
Hi :)

The most important thing to know about reading a pattern is when to stop reading.

The full stop is acknowledged in all forms of writing save the pattern. ;-)

On looking at a pattern it will tell you everything you need to know to make the project showing on the front.

The yarn required, the sizes it will be if you work to the GAUGE - this is the most important piece of information in the pattern.

What other materials you need. Abbreviations - you should check to make sure you understand them before you buy the pattern - if not ask the owner of the store to help.

The pattern will then tell you what part of the project you are going to be working on i.e. Back
1. Cast on X amount of sts for your size.
2. Work in stitch X until so many inches. - etc etc
at the end of every direction there will be a full stop. If it wants you to continue with something else it'll have a comma, to let you know that there is more to come on this particular part.

Just take it 1 step at a time. You'll be fine

Try downloading a pattern and break it down into sections.

Good luck and I hope this helps.

Gracie

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom