Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
46,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know what a reborn baby is? In my search for baby patterns on line I came across the site,which I forgot the name of now, but, it showed the most gorgeous patterns for reborn and for dolls. If you know what it is, would also appreciate how to convert reborn, preemie, doll patterns to actual baby size of 6, 12, 18 mos etc...

Thanks, Yona

·
Banned
23,386 Posts
I may be wrong, but in my travels on the net, I seem to recall that a "reborn" is a still birth or short-lived baby. Many "reborn" patterns are for burial or remembrance items.

Can't help on the resizing of patterns.
I just do trial and error using different yarns and/or different size needles/hooks.
Maybe someone else here has a reference to resizing?

·
Registered
11,389 Posts
To increase the sizing of a pattern is an adventure in math. I have done it to both increase and decrease sizing.

First of all it is easier to do this on a item that doesn't have a knitted repeat (still possible to do on those items which I will get into later).

You must determine the actual size of the finished garment and what size garment you need. Then formulate by what percentage larger you need the item to be. I'll work with imaginary numbers here. Lets say you have a pattern that will make an item that is 12" around and you need the item to be 18" around. This will be a 50% increase. By adding 50% more stitches and 50% more length, you will increase the size by 50%. If you are making a "multi piece" garment you will have to do this will ALL of the pieces. You will also have to make adjustments on the sleeve bind offs and decreases plus armhole bind offs and decreases. Keep a calculator handy!

For garments that have a "pattern repeat"...once you have determined how much larger you need to make the item, you will have to determine how many repeats that is...for instance if your pattern repeats are over 10 stitches and you have to increase by 20 stitches, that means 2 pattern repeats. Though it's seldom that simple. If you need to increase by 22 stitches and your repeat is over 10 stitches you will have to only increase by 20 stitches so that you don't have "left over" stitches. You will also have to take into consideration how many rows the pattern repeats over. If the pattern repeat in rows is 8 rows and you need to increase by 14 rows, your best bet is to add those extra two rows in order to complete the repeats.

I do this all the time for my grand daughter.

I was making an outfit for my grand daughter and wanted to make a felted purse and hat to match the outfit. The only hat pattern I really liked was sized for a woman Now even though felting was involved and I could risk that the yarn would felt down enough to fit her...I didn't want to risk it. So I rewrote the hat pattern using 20% less stitches, and also made it 20% shorter. Worked out great. My son took a picture of her wearing the hat (but not the rest of the outfit) lets hope I can post the photo correctly. Remember the original pattern was for a woman's sized hat and my grand daughter is only 5.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Actually reborn is referring to a vinyl doll. Others like myself order blank vinyl kits and with coloring and other things they actually look like a live baby. Check them out on ebay or google. Most range in size from 16"-24" but mini's are starting to become quite popular too.

·
Registered
14 Posts
A reborn baby is a doll that artistis remake by painting with special paints and hand root the hair to make them look like real babies. Some of them are absolutely breathtaking . Go to ebay.com and type in "reborn baby" in the search and you will see some amazing artistry.

·
Registered
3 Posts
You can find a lot of reborn baby patterns on Ebay if you type "Baby Reborn Crochet Patterns" in the search box. If you want finished crocheted items just leave "pattern" out of the search string. Annie's Attic has some pattern books for sale. On EBay seller Rosen1998 usually has the best prices for individual items or single sets. Multiple pattern books are listed by several sellers. You can do the same searches out on the net and find some too.

Sorry, I don't know how to increase the size of the pattern by an exact amount...I just use thicker yarn and/or a larger size hook to make patterns bigger. Hope this helps. Good luck in your search

·
Registered
403 Posts
Knitting Pattern Central has many, many baby patterns for babies and children. If you are wanting preemie size patterns, Google for preemie charity knitting - you'll find many there also. Have fun!

·
Registered
1 Posts
yona said:
Does anyone know what a reborn baby is? In my search for baby patterns on line I came across the site,which I forgot the name of now, but, it showed the most gorgeous patterns for reborn and for dolls. If you know what it is, would also appreciate how to convert reborn, preemie, doll patterns to actual baby size of 6, 12, 18 mos etc...

Thanks, Yona
I don't know but if u do find out please post it. I amagine most patterns could be converted if you know how many stiches per in and compair size to what a baby pattern would be compared to doll , of course the needle size would change Good Luck Maja

·
Banned
23,386 Posts
Thank you courier770...I have copied your instructions and saved them....will give it a try.

And thanks to all on the meaning of "reborn".
Humm... now I know there is more than one meaning. :>)

All have a great day.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom