Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
30,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been going to second hand stores of late. I buy those lovely cashmere or angora sweaters for 2 to 5 dollars. Go home and take apart. Have nice yarn, to make something with.
Does anyone else do this??

·
Registered
12,049 Posts
Nope. I would sometimes undo something mine if I decide I won't ware it for some reason - ever - and the yarn is ok and make something else, but buy garments for the only reason of frogging them... no.

·
Registered
15,542 Posts
I tried it but it didn't work. I bought a pretty hand knitted ladies cardigan which was too small for me. I tried and tried to undo it, but couldn't get any stitches undone. In the end I gave it to my daughter to wear. Whoever knitted it, didn't intend it ever coming apart. I would still buy a sweater to frog, but I would check first that the stitching is likely to come undone.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
I've done this too. I get some very beautiful yarn this way. I also went to a community rummage sale specifically for t-shirts to cut up for throw rugs. Was $2 a bag, as full as you could stuff it. Came home with two bags of t-shirts and some jeans. Of which I cut up for my footstool. Still have enough jeans cut up to make another footstool.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
If i find 100% wool, i wash & felt it first then cut out pieces
Hi, I am trying to find a pattern or other instructions on how to make mittens after felting a large piece. I want to make or buy a large piece, felt it, then cut out and sew together mittens. Can this be done> Does anyone have directions on how to do this?? Please help.

·
Registered
147 Posts
yes i do like to get nice yarn that way....i look at the inside to be sure they are not cut on the side seams and then when i go to take them apart you have to start by taking the pcs apart and then you have to be sure you are starting at the top or you can not take them apart.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
I haven't bought sweaters to frog them, but I have used sweaters that someone mistakenly felted to make tote bags. I always wash and dry them again to make sure they are as felted as they can get. I then cut out for the bags.
Yvette

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom