Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yay! I finally did it. I gathered up all my stash, (o.k. I did keep some), and took it over to our Senior Center. There is a knitting group there, and they were delighted!

·
Registered
4,148 Posts
mama879 said:
Just magically appears huh!!!! lol
It can happen, mama; several years ago I cleaned out before one of my younger birthdays -- on my birthday from my son I received 2 crates the size to fit a stove of every kind of yarn you can fathom. His wife hit a garage sale in Maine and he sent to me what she didn't want. Large amount of it still 'on the back burner' to make room for what I keep buying. I may die of yarn suffocation.

·
Registered
142 Posts
we moved from Indiana to California just a year ago this past October and the stash, I had....oh, my goodness....I knew of a senior citizens center in a neighboring town and called them....they were so thrilled to have it...I felt like Santa Claus...only little over a year now and cannot believe that I have done it AGAIN! It does seem to grow on its own! :)

·
Registered
11,155 Posts
RitaIndy said:
we moved from Indiana to California just a year ago this past October and the stash, I had....oh, my goodness....I knew of a senior citizens center in a neighboring town and called them....they were so thrilled to have it...I felt like Santa Claus...only little over a year now and cannot believe that I have done it AGAIN! It does seem to grow on its own! :)
That is exactly what I mean. Over the years I have probably given away 10 large garbage bags of yarn. But I now have more yarn then ever before. Yarn attracts yarn.

·
Registered
22,991 Posts
Wonderful idea!

When I decided I wasn't working on my afghan any more--and when my circular needle that I was using with it broke--I gathered up all the stash yarn that was going into it and brought it to Goodwill. When I've been to Goodwill lately, I've seen a bunch of the yarn out and for sale. I'm so glad that it's going to find a loving home!

Hazel

·
Registered
22 Posts
Jean Keith said:
mama879 said:
Just magically appears huh!!!! lol
It can happen, mama; several years ago I cleaned out before one of my younger birthdays -- on my birthday from my son I received 2 crates the size to fit a stove of every kind of yarn you can fathom. His wife hit a garage sale in Maine and he sent to me what she didn't want. Large amount of it still 'on the back burner' to make room for what I keep buying. I may die of yarn suffocation.
Wot a way to go, yea

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Such a great thing to do with unwanted yarn. I have done it a few times. Our local community center knits for charity and they were thrilled. I once gave some to a school that is giving knitting lessons along with some old needles I no longer care. I have also taken it to some local thrift shops where it will be sold at a nice low price to someone who couldn't afford it at store price, or couldn't get to a store. Yarn is just too wonderful to leave languishing in the back of a closet. Share, share, share.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Joy Marshall said:
RitaIndy said:
That is exactly what I mean. Over the years I have probably given away 10 large garbage bags of yarn. But I now have more yarn then ever before. Yarn attracts yarn.
That's why you must never leave yarn in the dark. It breeds.

·
Registered
215 Posts
How kind of you!

Although, to be honest, I don't understand all you people with your "getting rid" of your stash! I never have enough yarn--- I can't imagine having a "stash" like you people claim. I would think I've died and gone to heaven if I had dozens of skeins on which I could unleash the creative juices.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Nocturnal said:
How kind of you!

Although, to be honest, I don't understand all you people with your "getting rid" of your stash! I never have enough yarn--- I can't imagine having a "stash" like you people claim. I would think I've died and gone to heaven if I had dozens of skeins on which I could unleash the creative juices.
I completely agree with you! I wish I could have a stash that big... But I know my husband would have a whale (rather than a cow)...

·
Registered
4,148 Posts
I gave 10 blanket bags of baby, fingering, rug, and sport yarns last summer to a thrift store as well as some here. Telling tales out of school.........when you go to the trouble to pack up several bags, pay the postage, mail it, and then after awhile have to contact the donee to see if it was ever received, and hear 'I suppose I should have said thank you', well, yeah!? My stash will stay with me and dwindle or grow, whichever.

·
Registered
20,942 Posts
How wonderful and toughtful of you to donate to the seniors. I am so sure they will use every little ball of yarn you gave to them.
And it just feels nice to help other knitters.

Linda

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
lilydragon said:
Nocturnal said:
How kind of you!

I completely agree with you! I wish I could have a stash that big... But I know my husband would have a whale (rather than a cow)...
Give it time, girls! You're both young - it takes a while. :lol:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom