Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
39,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a couple of questions:
1. Is is necessary to use reinforcement yarn when knitting all socks?
2. If not, which yarns require that you use reinforcement yarn on the heel and toes?
3. Finally, which reinforcement yarn is preferred?

·
Registered
11,389 Posts
I reinforce heels and toes and find "spools" of proper reinforcement yarn at yarn.com Some yarn shops carry cards of reinforcement yarn. Some people have used a nylon product available in fabric stores..but that product has caused problems with "cutting" through stitches.

It' isn't required to reinforce...I do it because I'm "rough" on socks...work on my feet all day. A friend of mine knits her heels and toes with a needle one size smaller and this works well to. It doesn't make the heel or toes "tight" for the wearer, it just creates a "denser" and "tougher" fabric.

Lang sock yarns come with a spool of reinforcement yarn buried in their skeins of yarn!

·
Premium Member
39,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank you. I will check out Yarn.com.

·
Premium Member
39,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thank you. I will check out Yarn.com.

·
Premium Member
39,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I looked at Yarn.com and saw the reinforcement bobbins had 45 yards on them. would you think that 1 bobbin per pair of socks is all that is required?

·
Premium Member
39,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks again Courier770. You just saved me money :)

·
Registered
940 Posts
I knit the cuff or top part of socks with a size 2 needle . When I start the heal I use a size one. I like the looks of the size one needle for the foot. I do not have a big problem with socks wearing out when I use a good yarn

·
Registered
10,969 Posts
Some "sock" yarns have nylon spun right in (blended in) to the yarn. These do not necessarily need reinforcing. Also, some merino sock yarns are spun with a very high twist, making them strong. They do not always need reinforcement. Some socks are meant to have light wearing - bedsocks, for example - and they don't always need reinforcing.

If you are using a yarn that is not "designed" to be a sock yarn, or a pattern that does not work up to a very tight gauge, you may want to add reinforcement. Or, if you notice that your walking style results in excess wear on the socks you have - a shoe that rubs, or shuffling feet on a carpet that abrades, for example.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Ok, pardon my dumb question, but is the reinforcement yarn used along with the sock yarn like double strand knitting? Guess I'm getting ahead of myself, haven't even knit one sock yet! but just want to be prepared, haha!

·
Registered
525 Posts
settleg said:
I have a couple of questions:
1. Is is necessary to use reinforcement yarn when knitting all socks?
2. If not, which yarns require that you use reinforcement yarn on the heel and toes?
3. Finally, which reinforcement yarn is preferred?
I machine knit my socks and I have a pair of Lion Brand Sock ease that I made at least 3 years ago that I wore to work. It was warehouse work so I was on my feet all day. The yarn is 75 wool/25 nylon and I added a strand of 'wooly nylon' on the heels and toes. Got it at Joann's where they have the serger thread. The socks have no wear on the heels and no cut stitches from the added nylon. I have heard a lot of people say that the nylon cuts the yarn but I've never had a problem with that. If the yarn is 'sock' yarn it should have a tight twist and not wear out quickly. If it's regular yarn with a normal twist it won't last.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have heard of 'wooly nylon' thread, but cannot find it anywhere. If anyone knows where to find this, please post. Wooly nylon is stretchy and 'fuzzy' which makes this ideal for adding to toes and heels of your socks.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Oops - I forgot to mention that I don't add the bamboo yarn for the heel ( makes it too bulky ) just for the toe. I like the idea of using a size 1 needle for the heel - much more sturdy without the bulk. AND - by the way - the bamboo yarn is very fine - not the coarser kind.

·
Registered
11,389 Posts
I like bamboo yarns, if they are well made. My late sister bought some very poorly made bamboo and got turned off by it.

Socks are such forgiving items and easy to adjust to the needs of both the knitter and the wearer.

I rarely wear store bought socks anymore, since knitting my own results in a "custom" fit. I have very small feet and generally can purchase my shoes in the kids department...just wish they made steel toed ones in kid sizes!

·
Registered
525 Posts
KSUBand said:
I have heard of 'wooly nylon' thread, but cannot find it anywhere. If anyone knows where to find this, please post. Wooly nylon is stretchy and 'fuzzy' which makes this ideal for adding to toes and heels of your socks.
I found mine at Joann's where the serger thread is. The one I go to has a large stand with spools of serger thread. Look through that and see if they have it.

·
Super Moderator
Name on Ravelry: JessicaJean, no hyphen, no space.
87,336 Posts
I, too, have yet to knit adult-sized sox, but I've saved any old balls of nylon baby yarn (1950's) that I've come across. My intention is to use it with whatever yarn I use to - eventually - knit myself some sox.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom