Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a jack of all trades but a master of none.
I have completed 3 counted cross stitch of Australian home steads but went marking out the grids I used pencils and tailors chalk and went I washed it only some of the pencil and chalk lines came out.

I am hoping that some lovely person may be able to help with a hint on removing these marks

I haven't iron these as yet not wanting to set the marks

Attachments

·
Registered
41,373 Posts
OUCH.... I don't mark a grid, so I'm just taking a stab in the dark. I would take a good dishwashing liquid, like Dawn and "draw" over all the lines, keeping piece flat. Let it sit a good long time and then soak in water for a bit and relaunder. Do not dry or iron until you are happy. You might also try Oxyclean... Most embroidery thread is colorfast. If any of it is handdyed... BE CAREFUL........

·
Registered
9,217 Posts
I never use pencil or chalk to mark the grids on my cross stitch. I always do long tacking stitches. Yes it's time consumming but I don't have to worry about marks being left on my work, which takes many hours/weeks/months to do.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I like to use Fels Naptha bar soap or Castile, dampen the fabric, rub soap on, roll up, set aside overnight, then wash. I also like to add 1/2 hydrogen peroxide to wash cycle to remove any shadowing. Good luck, hope this works for you.

·
Registered
32,110 Posts
Put the same marks with the same pencil, chalk, etc., on a piece of scrap fabric and try the cleaning techniques to see what works. I used to use hair spray to get ink out of cloth, but am not sure what effect it would have on the embroidery yarn. You may want to do a couple of stitches on the scrap to check for that, too.

Once you get the method that works, then do it on the lovely piece you made.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Look for an eraser bag, also called a draftman cleaning pad, where drafting supplies are sold. The bag is used to clean delicate drafting papers without abrasion and also works on fabric. Use only a gentle soap to discourage bleeding from the darker-colored threads. The red and dark blue threads are less colorfast now due to enviromental regulations regarding mordants. Here in the States, many cross stitch addicts use Orvis horse soap to wash completed pieces.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
jennybabe said:
I use a water erasable pen.It washes out when i wash my item after finishing.I use a wet cotton bud if i make a mistake marking the grid.Im new so hope it helps
I recommend you keep your fabric out of sunlight when you use a water erasable pen. I heard the sun could set the dye (from the marker pens) so I tried a little experiment. It only took an hour in the summer sun to set the blue marker and a little over two hours to set the purple marker.
I don't know if extended exposure under a natural spectrum light (example: Ott Light) will set the marker dyes.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Leonora said:
I never use pencil or chalk to mark the grids on my cross stitch. I always do long tacking stitches. Yes it's time consumming but I don't have to worry about marks being left on my work, which takes many hours/weeks/months to do.
I also use long tacking stitches to mark the grid. From experience I know it is not good to use red thread on white linen or white Aida to mark a grid. Some of the red dye from the thread bled into my expensive linen and did not wash out. As the piece was destined for competition, all I could do was start over.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thank you ladies your hints and ideas have been great, now to set to work and clean and frame this work

Patchz

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom