Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,009 Posts
A sewing pattern itself may be subject to copyright law, but that is only the pattern illustrations, diagrams, written instructions and the pattern envelope art (sometimes, again there are limitations). That means that you cannot simply photocopy or scan in the sewing pattern and then sell copies of it. Naturally, I’m sure you wouldn’t do that. Although if you look on Etsy there are plenty of seemingly illegal copies of sewing/knitting patterns and even scanned copies of whole books on there. But that’s another matter for another day…

You CAN sell things that you make from sewing patterns, with only minor limitations (see later). A pattern is simply that – a template to follow to create a uniform item. You add your own artistic flare to what you create using that template. What you make is your property and is yours to do with as you will.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,971 Posts
Because the individual patterns on Ravelry are digital, even if you were to "sell" your copy, you'd still have a version of it. So, unless you were to delete it from your computer, destroy all printed out copies, remove it from your Ravelry database, any other place it may be stored (cloud storage, etc) and be able to prove you've done all that, then you would really only be selling a copy - which you don't have the right to do. A physical printed pattern (usually a leaflet) can be resold as used just like a book. But a digital copy - too easy to "cheat"....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,009 Posts
False claim:
It is also legal to make items for sale as long as you purchase a pattern each time so that the buyer is buying the pattern and paying you to sew it
This is the "lite" version of demanding you purchase a license. There is nothing in copyright law that requires you to only use a copyrighted article once. Image throwing out books after you have read them? You know you have the right to keep the book and read it again. Or to sell the book if you wish once you are finished with it. So why is a pattern different? It isn't. Music CDs are copyrighted as are DVDs with motion pictures and shows. Do they require you to purchase a new CD or DVD every time you want to listen or watch it again? Of course not. So why do pattern designers make such a foolish demand? http://www.tabberone.com/Trademarks/CopyrightLaw/Patterns.shtml
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
42,303 Posts
RoxyCatlady said:
Because the individual patterns on Ravelry are digital, even if you were to "sell" your copy, you'd still have a version of it. So, unless you were to delete it from your computer, destroy all printed out copies, remove it from your Ravelry database, any other place it may be stored (cloud storage, etc) and be able to prove you've done all that, then you would really only be selling a copy - which you don't have the right to do. A physical printed pattern (usually a leaflet) can be resold as used just like a book. But a digital copy - too easy to "cheat"....
I agree, if selling would have to be removed from all mentioned, but still not sure something you could sell.

kristym
it is amazing how many patterns are being sold as digital copies, have even seen collections of patterns being sold on CD's, those from major companies. Never understood how they can do this and get away with selling not original patterns online, when more than one are available. that tells you they are being copied and multiple are sold.

I guess there are all kinds out there, and as long as people buy them they will continue selling them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you so much. It is not a pattern I want to sell, it's one I want to buy. I can't download it, went to the library and tried to purchase it on my credit card. That didn't work. I did not mention the name of the pattern because I was pretty sure that it was illegal and basically just wrong. Thank you again. Jan
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,971 Posts
Janallyn said:
Thank you so much. It is not a pattern I want to sell, it's one I want to buy. I can't download it, went to the library and tried to purchase it on my credit card. That didn't work. I did not mention the name of the pattern because I was pretty sure that it was illegal and basically just wrong. Thank you again. Jan
If the person bought it on Ravelry in the first place, couldn't you buy it from the original seller also?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The problem is I have no printer, and our local library bars credit card tranactions, so therefore I need to buy it, print it, then erase it on the computer I use. There is no way I intend to steal from the original designer.

I'm just frustrated, guess it's not meant to be
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
42,303 Posts
Janallyn said:
Thank you so much. It is not a pattern I want to sell, it's one I want to buy. I can't download it, went to the library and tried to purchase it on my credit card. That didn't work. I did not mention the name of the pattern because I was pretty sure that it was illegal and basically just wrong. Thank you again. Jan
If you looking to buy the pattern on Raverly, why would it be illegal if buying it from the designer. It is their pattern to sell.

If having a problem purchasing it, send the designer a message through Raverly.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
42,303 Posts
Janallyn said:
The problem is I have no printer, and our local library bars credit card tranactions, so therefore I need to buy it, print it, then erase it on the computer I use. There is no way I intend to steal from the original designer.

I'm just frustrated, guess it's not meant to be
Why not use your computer to purchase it.
Once purchased and it is in your Raverly library, save it to a flash drive and take it to the library to bring up on their computer to print, or take the flash drive to a place like staples and have them print it for you.
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom