Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I keep a plastic tub outside my garage and people leave me all kinds of craft items knowing I'm a crafter. I came home yesterday to a bag of rolled yarn---they are rolled so tight it looks like someone Very Angry rolled them!!! I rerolled very loosely one ball today and it's twice the size it was when I started.
Is there any way to restore these yarns? Can I steam them, wash them in some way, ??????? I hate to lose all the yarn but they really have lost a lot of their zip being wound so tight.

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
Unwind them and let them rest or wind them into skeins, tie in 3 or 4 places, and tumble them in your dryer for a few minutes. If it is wool, wash in cold water and lay out to dry. Someone may have wound the yarn who wasn't going to use it, thought they were doing this person a favor and the recipient thought it was permanently damaged. Most yarn will fluff up when released from the pressure. Who knows how long it was wound this way.
Acrylic yarn can be restored by making skeins of it,put it in a mesh bag, wash and dry it as you would a garment made of acrylic yarn. Treat it like a finished garment and good luck.

Carol J.

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks, there's 9 balls of various yarns, mostly baby weight and sports weight no wools but I'd sure hate to lose it. I wasn't even sure if it was good enough to practice my crochet on. have appt. this a.m. but will redo the rest of the balls when I get home.
I'm sure they've probably been wound for quite awhile.

You know, I got back into knitting and learning to crochet to get "rid" of my stash of yarns---guess what? I have twice as much now and having a grand time with all the wonderful new yarns. Used scrap yarn yesterday and Crocheted 3 mug cozies , can tell improvement in my crochet, thank goodness.

·
Registered
11,155 Posts
I, too, sometimes receive yarn that is wound very tightly. I am afraid I pass it on. When I am winding yarn myself I do it around two fingers of my left hand. I also make them centre pulls by leaving a tail of several inches before I start the actual winding.

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
Unwind it and make it into skeins, tie together in a few places and let it lay for a few days or a week, it will probably relax. If it is still tight, then wash and dry it.

Carol J.

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
Bunbun said:
I keep a plastic tub outside my garage and people leave me all kinds of craft items knowing I'm a crafter. I came home yesterday to a bag of rolled yarn---they are rolled so tight it looks like someone Very Angry rolled them!!! I rerolled very loosely one ball today and it's twice the size it was when I started.
Is there any way to restore these yarns? Can I steam them, wash them in some way, ??????? I hate to lose all the yarn but they really have lost a lot of their zip being wound so tight.
Good topic.I have gotten some balled yarns that too were wound tight. Now we both know what o do with it. Thx

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Carol J. said:
Someone may have wound the yarn who wasn't going to use it, thought they were doing this person a favor and the recipient thought it was permanently damaged.
Sometimes people harvest yarn from garments and seeing that it is wrinkled or kinked, will roll it tightly thinking that this will straighten the yarn out.

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
That could happen quite easily. I had a class of 4H girls in my shop, the father brought the girl to the class and he had wound the yarn into a ball you could have used for baseball. Said his mother always wound the yarn into a ball. I explained to him, with this kind of yarn we just pull the end from the center, she got hers in a loosely wound skein that had to be made into a ball but she didn't do it this tight. So I unwound it for the child.

Carol J.

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
mine was as hard as a baseball too. I can't believe the difference once I started to unwind and laid it out in "rows" by time I got to the end of the "baseball" and started to rewind, it had puffed up beautifully and I'm using 2 diff balls tonight. Thanks for the tips ladies.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom