Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
9,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all
for those of you who have been following the furniture revamps and anyone who is interested in this one - here is the before and after piccies of my latest effort. I bought this Bentwood rocking chair on ebay and changed the dark wood and cane to a nice clean white. My vision is this chair could be used on a deck or veranda or as a nursing mothers chair. Would look pretty in a nursery. Hope you like it!

Attachments

·
Registered
9,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
missmolly said:
Another great revamp! I think it would look perfect in a nursery xx
Thanks, you cannot really tell from these photos, but the pink cushion is covered in paisley fabric that has babies bottles and rattles inside the paisley shapes. I re-covered a $5 Kmart cushion in this fabric that I bought online from FabricTraders.com

·
Registered
9,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Laura Lee said:
I like it so much better in white. Good Job! The cushion really adds a lot to it!
I do too! It looks less old fashioned, but still pretty with the curly arms and rattan.

:)

·
Registered
21,297 Posts
I had one of these years ago and it sat on the deck in the bad weather. When I went to sit on it in the Spring, I fell through. Needless to say, it got thrown out. I wish I could have restored it but to have it recained cost more than the chair was worth.

·
Registered
9,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
margaretcave said:
Looks good either way - but I like white for a nursery. Those types of chairs make quite a bit of money in auctions in the UK.
Margaret,

The ones that make a lot of money are generally the genuine antique ones which are made either by "Thonet" or the makers "Kohn" - which is Austrian I believe. We have a set of 4 dainty little bentwood dining chairs made by Kohn bearing the original makers mark underneath and they are at least one hundred years old. Hubbie inherited them from his great grannie. I would not dream of touching them as they are probably worth more in their original state. When the cane went through on the seats, we had a professional upholsterer restore the cane (it was stitched in) and cost about $500 to get three chairs done in new cane which was then stained to match the colour of the one original chair that had no damage to the cane. If my bentwood rocker had been an antique, I would have left it in its original state. I read online that there are a lot of fakes out there, which seem to be the ones that are selling cheaper on ebay. You can tell not only by the lack of a makers mark, but they also have the phillips head screws in them (screws with a X on the top instead of a / ) and these screws were not invented back then - so it is a dead giveaway that they are not antiques. I bought mine on ebay for $11.50 - the genuine article sells for over $1000. Anyone contemplating making over one of these chairs needs to be aware of the difference or they could be losing money by painting it! My chair is "vintage" rather than antique. To be an antique, an article needs to be at least one hundred years old I believe. Just thought I would mention in case anyone else was thinking of doing the same - check for makers mark first and check out the type of screws used! I would hate for anyone to lose money on one of the genuine antiques!

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
nitnurse said:
margaretcave said:
Looks good either way - but I like white for a nursery. Those types of chairs make quite a bit of money in auctions in the UK.
Margaret,

The ones that make a lot of money are generally the genuine antique ones which are made either by "Thonet" or the makers "Kohn" - which is Austrian I believe. We have a set of 4 dainty little bentwood dining chairs made by Kohn bearing the original makers mark underneath and they are at least one hundred years old. Hubbie inherited them from his great grannie. I would not dream of touching them as they are probably worth more in their original state. When the cane went through on the seats, we had a professional upholsterer restore the cane (it was stitched in) and cost about $500 to get three chairs done in new cane which was then stained to match the colour of the one original chair that had no damage to the cane. If my bentwood rocker had been an antique, I would have left it in its original state. I read online that there are a lot of fakes out there, which seem to be the ones that are selling cheaper on ebay. You can tell not only by the lack of a makers mark, but they also have the phillips head screws in them (screws with a X on the top instead of a / ) and these screws were not invented back then - so it is a dead giveaway that they are not antiques. I bought mine on ebay for $11.50 - the genuine article sells for over $1000. Anyone contemplating making over one of these chairs needs to be aware of the difference or they could be losing money by painting it! My chair is "vintage" rather than antique. To be an antique, an article needs to be at least one hundred years old I believe. Just thought I would mention in case anyone else was thinking of doing the same - check for makers mark first and check out the type of screws used! I would hate for anyone to lose money on one of the genuine antiques!
Thanks for the information on how to recognise an antique from vintage - I did not know how to tell the difference. Like you I would hate to paint an antique! They are still lovely chairs though.

·
Registered
9,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
margaretcave said:
nitnurse said:
margaretcave said:
Margaret,

Thanks for the information on how to recognise an antique from vintage - I did not know how to tell the difference. Like you I would hate to paint an antique! They are still lovely chairs though.
Margaret

Yes, imagine the horror if you were proudly showing someone your shabby chic newly painted item and they told you it was a valuable antique and you had just ruined it! EEEeeeek! Pays to be careful!
Carole

·
Registered
754 Posts
WOW. What a great job. How did you ever get into all of those nooks and crannies? Did you spray on the white paint?

You must share your method. I have painted wicker chairs several times and used an attachment with my Electrolux vac to spray paint them.

·
Banned
13,778 Posts
WOW! Looks great. I had an old Bentwood rocking chair (picked it out of someone's trash.... really! Was in perfect condition! I hate to admit that because it's something I have never done before or since... I was driving by and there it was and I was pregnant! Think it was Karma or what ever.) Used it for many years to rock my babies. Yours is beautiful.

·
Registered
9,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Jenny.Wren said:
WOW. What a great job. How did you ever get into all of those nooks and crannies? Did you spray on the white paint?

You must share your method. I have painted wicker chairs several times and used an attachment with my Electrolux vac to spray paint them.
The answer is 'with great difficulty!". I used a very small paintbrush to get into the nooks. A small cutting in brush for the rest of the woodwork and a spray can of Rustoleum paint for the cane seat and back. I could have undone the screws and seperated the pieces I think, but I was reluctant to take it apart. I have some cane outdoor chairs to paint and will use a spray gun for them as the cane is rounded and would be difficult to hand paint (also has lots of nooks and crannies).

·
Registered
9,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
AmyKnits said:
WOW! Looks great. I had an old Bentwood rocking chair (picked it out of someone's trash.... really! Was in perfect condition! I hate to admit that because it's something I have never done before or since... I was driving by and there it was and I was pregnant! Think it was Karma or what ever.) Used it for many years to rock my babies. Yours is beautiful.
Good for you. I am thinking of checking out the council cleanup stuff that people put out on their grass verges for the council to take to the dump. I am keeping an eye on our local council website to see which areas are next for cleanup and what days they are being told to put their stuff out for collection. I would check with the owners first to make sure it is OK to take. I have already scored a large picture frame this way, which I then painted shabby chic style. I also took a round pine dining table that was at our local dump in their recycle shed - so that was another freebie! One mans trash is anothers treasure after all! Glad you enjoyed your rocking chair!

:) :)

·
Registered
9,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
LadyBecket said:
I had one of these years ago and it sat on the deck in the bad weather. When I went to sit on it in the Spring, I fell through. Needless to say, it got thrown out. I wish I could have restored it but to have it recained cost more than the chair was worth.
Yes, lovely to use on the deck, but should not be left out I would think as it is more an indoor chair. What a shame!

:-(

·
Registered
9,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
christine4321 said:
I love seeing your "revamps" and they are awesome! thank you for posting
Thanks, the next ones in the pipeline so to speak are a pair of large cane conservatory style chairs. I have already made over the ugly cushions and started to sand down the frames yesterday. Very hard work as I am sanding by hand and the canework is criss/cross pattern. I am planning to spray paint these once they are prepared for painting.

·
Registered
627 Posts
nitnurse said:
Hi all
for those of you who have been following the furniture revamps and anyone who is interested in this one - here is the before and after piccies of my latest effort. I bought this Bentwood rocking chair on ebay and changed the dark wood and cane to a nice clean white. My vision is this chair could be used on a deck or veranda or as a nursing mothers chair. Would look pretty in a nursery. Hope you like it!
Hi, I hope this works. This is one piece of my mother's bedroom furniture we revamped. What do you think. Chris

Attachments

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom