Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. Anyone who loves a good revamp project is going to love this one. I bought a 1950's style timber and iron garden set comprising of one small garden coffee table, a two seater garden bench, two matching chairs with arms and one similar without arms. I have made over this type of garden furniture before but never a full set in one go. So far, I have got the table done and am busy working on the two seater bench and the smallest chair. It involves removing the timber slats - no mean feat in itself as most of the nuts and bolts are so rusty that some of them won't turn the nut without the bolt also turning at the same time, so they won't undo. Grrrr. Then clean the timber to get rid of the green algae growing on it. I used Napisan as it is an oxygenated bleach. Safe for pets and plants and people and does the job. Mix as per pack instructions with hot water and then scrub the timber with a kitchen scrubber. Cannot use a harsh brush on the timber as it frays the timber when wet. Wait couple days for timber to dry thoroughly before sanding and applying two coats of timber decking oil. For the metal frames, use the Napisan if there is algae growing on the metal, used Citristrip paint stripper to remove old layers of paint, plus a paint scraper. Then a thorough wash with a degreasing agent (I use Sugar Soap) and a rinse with the hose. One coat of Feronite rust converter and wait couple days for it to work its magic. Then a coat of Killrust primer which goes on a khaki green colour. Need to wait couple days for that to dry/set before painting. I am going for Killrust Ultra Blue paint as I had some left over from other projects and it is a lovely colour. So it is going to be newly oiled and cleaned / refreshed timber with a lovely blue metal frame for each piece. Some photos of work in progress. I will of course post photos of the set when it is finished. The two seater bench needs strengthening with some flat steel additions which I have purchased and need to cut to size and drill holes for bolts once the bench is re-assembled. Those bits will also need primer and paint. Will need to use a hacksaw to cut the steel and the drill for the bolt holes. I have been working on this over the past few weeks an hour or so here and there as time allowed.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nana of 6 said:
No small undertaking, this. Best of luck with it. Will look forward to seeing the end result.
Thanks I forgot to post the colour I am using. Here is photo of the frames drying in blue paint, so you can get a better idea.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
bundyanne07 said:
How do you ever find the time to do this as well as your gardening, pet minding etc etc - you certainly are one very busy lady.
There really is no such thing as multi tasking, so all of us really can only do one thing at a time effectively. I started work on this set prior to the house sit/pet minding and as that was taking place just next door to my house, I managed to pop home for an hour or so a couple of times to spend some time on it. Today I worked on it all day. I have now got the smaller seat frame in rust converter which takes one day to work before you can prime it, so I will prime the frame tomorrow. I cleaned the timber the day before, so I should be able to apply the first coat of decking oil to it tomorrow. I can also then assemble the two seater bench and measure up the steel flats and cut and drill holes. I won't be able to affix to the bench till they are primed and painted though. I also dis-assembled the second from last seat today and can clean the frame and slats tomorrow. It is very time consuming but you just do a bit here and there. In the evenings I am knitting to finish the second sock of a pair I am making for my DH. The housework rather goes out of the window while I work on my revamps and of course I currently have no pets to mind (other than our own dog!). So it is really just a question of juggling and time management and letting go of some things while I focus on others. When I cannot do any painting or am waiting for stuff to dry before I can do the next step, that is when I catch up with the housework or the garden. Nobody can keep all the balls in the air at the same time and today we had no food or milk in the house, so I popped out to local shop/cafe and bought milk and had my lunch - fishburger - in the shop. We had take away pizza for dinner tonight. I also go through phases of cooking and bread or jam/marmalade making but of course there are only so many hours in the day so you just pick and choose which activity you want to focus on for any given day. You can never do them all at once!

·
Registered
9,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Tapraol said:
Love the color, can't wait to see it finished!
Might take a couple of weeks. Weather turned cold again today so no good for working outside or painting anything. Should be able to make some more headway with it tomorrow (Sunday).

·
Registered
9,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
moonieboy said:
Wow! How in the world do you get the rusty bolts off? I can see how beautiful the table will be. Please post a photo when you are through. I love to see before and after pictures.
Moonieboy
Some of the nuts and bolts would undo. About 40 per cent of them would not. I asked my neighbour and he said to brace something in between the metal or get someone else to hold one bit of metal, while someone else put pressure on the other or the timber and that way the bolt head would be stuck and not turn with the nut and the nut could be undone. Some came off this way, others needed oiling and yet others I had to squeeze the head of the bolt cutters in the gap between metal and timber and use the ground to brace one handle while pushing down with my foot on the other handle to squeeze the handles together and hence cut through the bolts. I am five feet nothing and not young anymore and not strong enough to push the two handles together to snap the bolts off. I got there in the end. I only have one of the armed single seat chairs to go - everything else has been dis-assembled. Where there is a will, there is a way. Neighbour also suggest an angle grinder but I don't think you could get the tool in the gap to cut through the bolts. I did borrow another neighbours angle grinder to cut the steel flat strips to size to make bracing for the back of the bench and had to cut and bend a piece to go from the centre back through one of the slats and under the seat and attach via bolts to each seat slat. This is to provide more strength to the bench and hopefully prevent it wobbling from side to side. I still need to paint those bits blue and attach to the two seater. It took me a lot longer to do this and using the angle grinder which I have never used before was a little terrifying as it shoots sparks everywhere as you cut. I think I need more practice with this tool! I am happy to use a power drill but find power tools always seem to need bigger hands and more strength to steady them than I have at my disposal! LOL!

·
Registered
9,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
riversong200 said:
Love the new color! I'm looking forward to seeing the finished set.
Here is the garden bench - getting there, just measuring and cutting the bracing for it from steel flats. Used an angle grinder to cut to length then drill to make holes for the bolts to go through the steel bracing and the timber bench. The bracing I am adding is to steady the bench which is a bit wobbly.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
jojo111 said:
I can't wait to see the finished product!
I am almost finished. I have re-assembled it all and just need to touch up some paint here and there and then I can photograph it and post here for you to see. I will make a new post when it is finished so remember to look out for a new Revamp post somewhere in the next few days. I shall be working on it tomorrow. It has been a lot of hard work but it does look a lot better I promise you! :sm09: :sm09:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom