Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I go each year to the Ohio Renaissance Fair in Harveysburg, OH. As a Renfest nut, I always go in costume. I also have the problem that I cannot stand for more than 5 minutes or walk for more than 200 feet without pain in my lower back. I, therefore, use one of those 3 wheeled electric mobility vehicles. My long skirts have a tendency to hang down and get run over by the wheels. This causes two problems. One is that it gets the skirt very dirty and two it can get caught in the wheel mechanism. Being a crafter, I was sure that there had to be a simple answer to this problem. While watching a movie about the antebellum days, I saw a lady who had a loop over her wrist to hold her long dress up as she danced. It struck me why can't I do that with my skirt and the motorized vehicle. So I crocheted two chain circles and put a row of single crochetes in them. I sewed them into the side seams of my skirt just up from the bottom far enough so they didn't show when I was standing up. When I sat down on my EMV I hooked the loops one over each side of the steering bar and it has worked out great. You have no idea how many of these loops I have made (without charge) for other people who thought they were the greatest thing since sliced bread. Doesn't anybody have an imagination anymore?

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not yet, I don't know how to get a picture from my digital camera to my Kindle and from there to here but at the end of October I go to Renfest again so if someone can teach this very old and very,very dumb dog the new trick of how to get that picture transferred. I'll be happy to do so.

·
Registered
8,508 Posts
That is a very good idea. They use loops of ribbon sewn to the underside of trains of wedding gowns to go over a wrist to keep them from dragging. Also, you can sew a tie-able length of ribbon just above the hem (high enough so it does not drag) in several places around the skirt, then have another tie that hangs from the waist band. When you tie them up, you get bunting. I would suppose if you got really creative you could use loops and pulleys!

·
Registered
10,997 Posts
What a great solution!

I used to got to a local Ren Fes every year - will have to look into going again this Fall.

Does your Kindle have a camera? Take that this year and get someone to take your pic with that.

·
Registered
6,868 Posts
Once you have the picture on the kindle you need to know where to find it --what file. Then you compose your reply and then click the" choose file" below the white box you typed in, and then hit the second button, add attachment] Be prepared it takes a while to upload! It will then show in a preview, and you can attach a comment to it. Once you're happy with the whole post then you must click send.

BTW I think this is a simple great easy idea for those you use mobility assistive devices of all kinds. The idea of bunting seems cool. While I don't need it myself: I am reminded of a speaker in one of my nursing classes who was paraplegic, He said you what we call you all...TAs [ for Temporarily abled] So who knows i may need this - I've bookmarked it. Thanks :sm16: :sm24: :sm24:

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
doglady said:
I go each year to the Ohio Renaissance Fair in Harveysburg, OH. As a Renfest nut, I always go in costume. I also have the problem that I cannot stand for more than 5 minutes or walk for more than 200 feet without pain in my lower back. I, therefore, use one of those 3 wheeled electric mobility vehicles. My long skirts have a tendency to hang down and get run over by the wheels. This causes two problems. One is that it gets the skirt very dirty and two it can get caught in the wheel mechanism. Being a crafter, I was sure that there had to be a simple answer to this problem. While watching a movie about the antebellum days, I saw a lady who had a loop over her wrist to hold her long dress up as she danced. It struck me why can't I do that with my skirt and the motorized vehicle. So I crocheted two chain circles and put a row of single crochetes in them. I sewed them into the side seams of my skirt just up from the bottom far enough so they didn't show when I was standing up. When I sat down on my EMV I hooked the loops one over each side of the steering bar and it has worked out great. You have no idea how many of these loops I have made (without charge) for other people who thought they were the greatest thing since sliced bread. Doesn't anybody have an imagination anymore?
Wedding dresses have them also. So the bride can dance at the reception without changing her dress.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom