Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

My name is Sue, I'm from Alabama..so far have knitted two baby afghans and crocheted a sweater for my Yorkie. Would like to single crochet an afghan of my own design, but clueless as to the method of using graph paper/measurements etc...if anyone can help, I would appreciate it. Thanks and have a great day.

·
Registered
306 Posts
welcome.. I am new here too. also have yorkies.. and I am going to watch this thread on tips of how to use the graph paper to make my own design to knit.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the welcome!!!

Your pic is soooo cute!!!

So far, my research has uncovered that I am in way over my head :lol: but..........I will persevere!! One source says to practice on sample swatches and then adjust accordingly for the final product.
It will take a long time to achieve but I am retired and will figure it out one of these days!! :lol:

·
Registered
306 Posts
ahhh Sue. don't sell your self short... you have knitted a big project. and afghan. I have crocheted many big items over the years but knitting is fairly new to me. fairly.... but I have discovered that if I can do the knit and purl stitch I have it licked. everything is stemmed around those two stitches (it looks like) and if I get stumped on something.. youtube is fabulous. ;)
and I am liking this forum because there seem to be lots that are new to the art, experienced and in between. no matter what level you are ... there are lots right beside you.

·
Registered
10,064 Posts
http://www.needlepointers.com/displaypage.aspx?ArticleID=36946&URL=http://www.thedietdiary.com/knittingfiend/KnittersGraph.html

here is a site to help you generate 'knitter's graph paper'....be sure you find the correct generator...knitter's graph paper is different than regular graph paper because our knit sts are higher than they are wide so the paper must compensate....

if you plan a design to go into your project (intarsia) it is much easier to do it on this paper as the regular square stuff results in long skinny designs rather than what we thought we were designing...

this worked right the first time but needs to be bigger....i would print out several layouts...you get to decide where your dark black lines appear...in the beginning, doesn't matter, you are learning to generate the paper as well as design your project....

anyway, print out several and take them to the library to enlarge before putting your colors in....save the last sheet so you don't have to print new ones every time, you can just copy the enlargement...

of course you should put a simple design in and try it first...a little round flower or something...then you will see how the paper works for you....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom