Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was so excited to get a beautiful rosewood crochet hook - size F by Drury Lane - as an early birthday gift. As a little 'thank you' present, I decided to make a simple little mug rug for my friend. Disaster struck after only a few hdc's in the second ring. The hook end snapped off, leaving a sharp stick which may be useful for poking certain cats who want to help me crochet but no good for much else.

I was so happy with that thing because it had such a nice pointed end and deep 'hook'. It seemed perfect for getting between stitches.

I was using Sugar and Cream cotton yarn and simple Granny square pattern. I ordered it from eNeedles, using the money from my friend to wanted to give me a special present. The folks at eNeedles were so kind about sending a PayPal invoice. I was very impressed with them.

Question: Have others had this trouble? Are these needles mostly for 'look pretty', not to actually use? Should I reserve that kind just for very open work patterns?

There was also a bamboo hook, size H by StitchBerry in the same gift order. Should I be afraid to use it too? Now I'm worried about rosewood knitting needles too.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I would contact the company. They should replace it for free.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
I have had my rosewood circular knitting needles for five years and they are still going strong I think you may have just got a faulty one and I am sure if you let tthem know they will replace it

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
virginia42 said:
As mentioned above, contact the company. Good luck. I hope they give you a free replacement.
I hope so too. I've written and hope to get a reply soon. Thanks to all who answered. I didn't want to complain to the company if it was my own fault for maybe using it in a wrong way somehow. I loved that needle for the few stitches I was able to make with it. It would have been a favorite.

I have another needle I'm afraid to use. It's made of bone and was the only one I ever knew her to use. She crocheted a lot of things with it over her lifetime so it must be sturdy. Even so, I only use it very little and am super careful with it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear of your broken Rosewood crochet hook. I have just received a set of 8 with Swarvoski crystals set one each in the stems.A surprise present from my husband. I'm at present crocheting a little blanket for the Watford Baby Unit but I'm now frightened to use them in case they break. Do you think yours may have had a fault in the wood, like a slight crack?

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Patience said:
I'm so sorry to hear of your broken Rosewood crochet hook. I have just received a set of 8 with Swarvoski crystals set one each in the stems.A surprise present from my husband. I'm at present crocheting a little blanket for the Watford Baby Unit but I'm now frightened to use them in case they break. Do you think yours may have had a fault in the wood, like a slight crack?
I suppose a teeny crack is possible. I think I'll use them only for 'soft crocheting' -- that is, no patterns that require you to dig for the spot to insert the needle. I was doing a bobble stitch at the time. That's what made me wonder if it was my fault. Also cotton is not the most gentle yarn.

It's up to you, but I'd use those beautiful hooks. Think of it as a way to say thanks to your husband for his love and thoughtfulness. I'm sure he'd enjoy seeing his gift in your hands as you create something beautiful.

I don't use Mama's because it's an heirloom which I consider a "loan until it goes to someone else's care". It's displayed in an antique sewing table along with Granny's tatting shuttle etc. + examples of some needlework from dear hands now stilled.

But other than heirlooms like that, my philosophy is: If I have it, I use it. That's why I put the good china and crystal on the Sunday table and use my sterling every day. It all goes into the dishwasher with no ill effects. If something breaks, at least I enjoyed using it. Mama had so many "too good to use" things that were just put away and never seen.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
MamaBonz 55 said:
virginia42 said:
As mentioned above, contact the company. Good luck. I hope they give you a free replacement.
I hope so too. I've written and hope to get a reply soon. Thanks to all who answered. I
I got the nicest email from Derek at eknittingneedles.com where I ordered the rosewood crochet hook. He said a new one is on the way to me right now.

Besides the rosewood hook, I had also ordered some bamboo crochet hooks and the set of 75 dpns. I'm very pleased with everything. I didn't try their circular needles yet but I probably will sometime in the future. They were having a problem with using PayPal from their site but Derek kindly sent me an invoice so I could still pay that way. Nice people there. (No affiliation, just a satisfied customer.)

·
Registered
27 Posts
MamaBonz 55 said:
MamaBonz 55 said:
virginia42 said:
I hope so too. I've written and hope to get a reply soon. Thanks to all who answered. I
I got the nicest email from Derek at eknittingneedles.comnow. where I ordered the rosewood crochet hook. He said a new one is on the way to me right

Besides the rosewood hook, I had also ordered some bamboo crochet hooks and the set of 75 dpns. I'm very pleased with everything. I didn't try their circular needles yet but I probably will sometime in the future. They were having a problem with using PayPal from their site but Derek kindly sent me an invoice so I could still pay that way. Nice people there. (No affiliation, just a satisfied customer.)
Im very pleased you got a new rosewood crochet hook. Yes you are right. I will use my new set of hooks. It is such a beautiful present but it will be a shame to put it away safe till I'm gone and some stranger end up using it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom