Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please help me with my chapped hands from knitting. I have tried many hand creams but nothing seems to help for very long. I have very dry skin (not uncommon at 72) but knitting has made my hands even drier. Is there a non-greasy hand crean just for knitters and crocheters? Help!!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Try Zim's Crack Cream, it comes in a cream in a tube or also in a spray, my beautician uses it all winter from washing her hands so much. It is now greasy in the cream format, the spray needs a little bit of time to dry but does a better job of getting into cuticles and any really dry cuts close to your nails. Walmart, CVS, Marks are a few of the places I have found it but you can also order from the company direct.

http://www.crackcreme.com/products/skincare/index.html

they usually also have combination gift packages as well, especially for Christmas and Mother's day. If your hands remain really dry, then try the spray first, let it soak in, then go over them with the cream, and wear a pair of cotton or spa gloves while sleeping. I hope you can find this product and get some relief. I know it is not fun to have pain from something you enjoy.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I'm an ER nurse, and wash my hands more times than anyone can count in a shift.... i use Touch of Mink lotion to keep my hands soft and smooth, no cracks, etc. i found them at the county fair one year, tried it, and now get it online. the stuff is not greasy, doesn't wash off for 3-4 washes (the oil stays in the tissues, keeps hands softer), has a really gentle smell, and is fairly expensive, but i think it's worth it for what it gives me back. doesn't take much to maintain soft hands after getting them conditioned, either. http://www.touchofmink.com/Default.asp
they have a sampler set, the xd exteme repair lotion is good. good luck!

·
Registered
11,389 Posts
I make my own hand lotion/cream. A good friend shared a recipe with me that uses a little vaseline, shea butter, aloe, and baby lotion. You make it with a mixer...I crank the speed up to "whip" so it's light and fluffy. Then I store it in clear, plastic squeeze bottles (like the kind you use to put condiments in). Non greasy, works very well too.

·
Registered
7,116 Posts
(((((((( Here's what I do with rough hands after knitting, crocheting or hard work in our veggie and flowers gardens, not to mention landscaping and managing the acreage that has tons of work to do all year long:

I use aloe vera for healing then with my hand cream, I apply it each time I wash my hands then also:

Apply HEAVILY at night while sleeping then put on gloves to keep it from wearing off.

The same is true with the feet and particularly the heels: Apply healing whatever then put on sleeping socks.

Tools can be purchased to buff off cracked skin on the heels (pumice stone).

My non-greasy hand cream of choice is:

http://seedpowerbodycare.com/wp/our-products/healthy-hand-cream/?gclid=CJKUh8Gy_qcCFU9pKgodaS-2rw

Enjoy & HAND!!
~~~~~~~~
mamaski said:
Please help me with my chapped hands from knitting. I have tried many hand creams but nothing seems to help for very long. I have very dry skin (not uncommon at 72) but knitting has made my hands even drier. Is there a non-greasy hand crean just for knitters and crocheters? Help!!!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you everyone, you gave me some wonderful suggestions for my chapped hands and I will try them to see which works best for me. I love this sight and learn so much that helps makes me a better knitter.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry, that was for jonalisa77 - not real familiar with how to navigate the sight since this is my first time doing this sort of thing and my computer knowledge is limited as well. :)

·
Registered
59 Posts

·
Registered
14,208 Posts
mamaski said:
The VERY best I have found for dry rough hands from knitting, gardening etc...is Butter Hand Cream from Knit Picks.
www.knitpicks.com
I have used all the above too..
This will leave your hands velvety soft ..you can knit within minutes of using and smells heavenly vanilla.
Camilla

·
Registered
7,200 Posts
I perfer Avon's Moisture Therapy hand cream. The only thing I don't like about it when you wash your hands they seem slimy when they are wet. But after you dry them they are back to normal.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Please - if you decide to do an overnight treatment with gloves, make sure they are cotton knit or some other breathable fabric. I have known 2 people who thought latex gloves would force their skin to absorb the cream better. Their hands came out looking like they had been in a cast! The last time I bought cotton gloves, it was from the tractor supply store: 6 pair bundle for under $10.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
The best think for rough hands is "Bag Balm" Can be found in most drug stores.Put it on at night and wear cotton gloves. It is okay to use disposable latex gloves if only for max. 30 mins

·
Registered
201 Posts
I use a product that is made to keep horse's hoofs soft, it is called Healthy Hoof,I use it every night before I go to sleep and I never have to use any other hand cream. It is found at beauty supply stores, that is the one I use but a feed store will probably have it also. You have to be faithful in your use of it.

·
Registered
11,389 Posts
mnnh, I've found that my coworkers love it too (we work outside all year long), so I've begun to use a different color of the baby lotion in the recipe - the men were a little hesitant to try the pink variety. A fellow at work actually came up with the idea of the squeeze bottle. He felt it might be more "sanitary" during cold and flu season.

·
Registered
521 Posts
During the day I use Crabtree and Evelyn's gardeners hand cream-it smells fresh and not greasey. I use vasiline and cotton gloves at night for my hands and then vasiline and socks for my feel.There are also lanolin rich pure wool yarns that actually make your hands feel soft!

1 - 20 of 87 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom