Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
41,373 Posts
Roving is untwisted fiber/fleece ...There is no ply and can come in a variety of sizes. It would be suitable for many things, given that it is the correct size or gauge for the project.. it would make a very soft scarf or hat. I'm not sure I would recommend it for a first project though. You need a regular yarn to "see" your stitches well and this yarn would be easy to split...

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
I have some white roving yarn that was sent to me from New Zealand. I have used it in some projects and just knit with it like a regular yarn. You cannot put a lot of tension on it as it might pull apart. I have also had success with dyeing the white roving and using it in felted projects.

·
Registered
10,965 Posts
SCDottie said:
Thank you, but what are thrummed project?
Those are usually mittens (though could be slipper-socks or hats) that are knit with pieces of the unspun wool roving knitted/locked in place so that the inside of the mitten has a well insulated fuzzy interior. Extra warm!!

(under the "trivia" part - a "thrum" is also what is left over from a woven piece - the ends that are tied to the loom and not woven are cut off during finishing. These short pieces wouldn't be much use for other things, so, being ever resourceful and not wasteful, early weavers and fibre artists would recycle them into the insides of mittens for the extra warmth... )

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
roving yarn is a non spun yarn it is great as is for any bulky knit pattern, you can split it if you wish to knit finer, it is great for felting projects and you can use it for thrumming hats and mitt to make then extremely warm ( a thrum is a small piece of the roving broken off and knit into your project)

·
Registered
14,208 Posts
Both were explained well..

Also roving can be used in hand felted or used to felt different things..

Go to youtube and type in felting, roving, hand felting, thrumming and you will see videos of all the above..
Explains it better on video.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I live in a really rural area where mittens and such are still worn.
A friend of mine raises alpacas and she introduced me to thrummed mittens. Since then I've made muffs, hats and socks. It's fun to experiment with it. You tube and ravelry.com have helped me a lot.
SCDottie said:
Thanks, again. How do you know all this?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom