Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found the pattern for this and got the yarn and cast on ..my question to those who have made this ..... how do you go from the regular yarn to the ruffle yarn and then back again...I have tore this out several times. It just does not come out right...how does every one do this??????I have watched the YouTube on how to knit with this kind of yarn . Had no problem getting it cast on and knitting the first section of regular yarn ...that's when I have trouble not sure how to restart with the ruffle yarn...knitting in the round the ruffle yarn is going the wrong way....anyone ....it is such a cute little skirt..."need help"

· Registered
17 Posts
I'm not sure which pattern you have, but I'm trying to make a ruffled skirt for my GD. I had to frog it several times! Using circulars, I ended up casting on (basically slipping on) the ruffle yarn every other stitch. So knit (or cast on) one yarn stitch, then pick up a ruffle stitch by slipping it onto right hand needle from back to front. The next row I knit a ruffle stitch with the yarn stitch together. I didn't cut the ruffle yarn, knitted some rows w/ yarn then picked up the ruffle yarn again. I kept my ruffle yarn in the front of my work. I you-tubed and googled for some hints too.

I hope this helps! Good luck! It's fun to see it come together!

· Registered
41 Posts
you DO have to knit a few rows of just yarn between the ruffles or it looks TOO fru-fru...if there is such a thing with little girls...lol...and I also don't cut, I carry up when doing it circular...but I have also found that my skirts look better when I do them flat and seam...I know, I know...seaming sucks, but I DO need to do it sometimes to keep up with the trends...good for ya...teaches humility and patience...stupid seams!! LOL!!

· Registered
2,887 Posts
Well, when I read my pattern that is done in the round. You start with ruffle yarn then do 8 rows of plain yarn. When all the ruffles are on, you turn the skirt inside out bringing the ruffles to the outside and knit the top of the skirt and waist band.

· Registered
17 Posts
I'm kinda of adlibbing between a couple of patterns, Knitted Ruffle Skirt by Knockout Kreations and a pattern found on the Starbella site. (Sorry I don't have the link!) The pattern does say to turn it inside out, but I like the v side of the stitch! Sorry if I've totally confused you!

· Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Okay so here is what I figured out to do...I cast on in the ruffle yarn, then knit the amount of rows in regular yarn..by doing this in the round it makes the ruffle yarn on the inside and backwards to knit it in the round same direction as the regular yarn .....so I turn it around and knit it in the round backwards.....and so far it look okay...I will post a picture when I get it done....

· Registered
10,998 Posts
http://bfranklincrafts.blogspot.com/2012/03/how-to-knit-starbella-ruffle-skirt_29.html
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/ruffled-skirt
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/ruffle-skirt-4

Here are some patterns, the 1st is free the next 2 are for sale.

Winging it from the free one (I haven't bought either of the for-sale ones), I didn't like how they add in the ruffle yarn by kniting the row with only the ruffle yarn. I added it in with the regular yarn by k1 w/reg yarn, loop 1 loop of the ruffle yarn and repeat. Then on the next row, using only the reg yarn slip a loop of the ruffle yarn together with the regular yarn and knit them together around the row. I worked 9-10 rows between the ruffle rows. I didn't cut the ruffle yarn, just carried it up - it doesn't show.

· Registered
1,275 Posts
Oh, I wish I had read this before I knitted my skirt!!! Yes, I had difficulty with the ruffle rows - I knit it backwards the first time; then, I purled the ruffle rows. Now, that I read to turn it wrong side out, that makes LOTS of sense! Thanks!

Right now, I'm working on a little top for granddaughter to wear with the skirt.

· Registered
666 Posts
When I knitted the skirt I used the same principle as when knitting in eyelet knit in lace. I cast on with the normal yarn knited a couple of rows the took the salsa held it behind the work and knitted in every loop at the same time knitting a stitch from the normal yarn. I didn't cut the salsa yarn after completing the round. I then knitted 9 rows in normal yarn gently took the salsa up the work so it didn't pull tight and again knitted it in as I did the round with the normal yarn. Once I had completed the ruffle rows I needed I carried on with the normal yarn to the length needed did a pearl row then a few rows knit to form the waist band.
The only difference I can see from the pictures is there appears to be a row of knitting just under the top of the riffle yarn mine didn't have that but I did knit into the back of the loop making a sort of twist in the stitch so that the salsa hung nicely from the main body of the knitting.

· Registered
516 Posts
Hi KPers, Can someone send me the instructions for the child's ruffle skirt with Sashay yarn crocheted. I have tried repeatedly to print it off from Ravelry but only get half the pattern, I can't seem to shift it for the full print out. Thanks in advance. Gillian

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom