Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
Some one has give me 2 bags of rug yarn 5 or 6 different colors. I do not do rugs. What else could I knit or crochet with this yarn.
Any suggestions would really be appreciated.

· Registered
7 Posts
I know you stated you don't do rug but if you crochet, I've found some awesome free and easy pattern online. In fact, I just ordered yarn to do 2 rugs myself. You can find several free patterns online for shopping bags, back packs and even some purses. I had to order my yarn online because no one in my town or near by big cities had them in stores. I only hope the yarn is nice, luckily I only paid &1.80 per skein but I ordered 12 skeins..haha. Hope you find something neat to make..if you do, post pics.

· Registered
106 Posts
You might want to consider using a lighter weight yarn together with the rug yarn like a mohair or bamboo. It will soften the texture and add intrest to the color (like tweed). You can use it to make afghans and throws or even bathmats.

· Registered
111 Posts
I'm not familiar with rug yarn but is this anything like macreme (sp?) "yarn"? A have lots of macreme (?) "yarn" and I wonder if I could use it for rugs, shopping bags, etc? Would appreciate any info from you wonderful ladies. Sue

· Registered
2,615 Posts
Suzih said:
I'm not familiar with rug yarn but is this anything like macreme (sp?) "yarn"? A have lots of macreme (?) "yarn" and I wonder if I could use it for rugs, shopping bags, etc? Would appreciate any info from you wonderful ladies. Sue
I don't see why you couldn't. You'd probably have to use large needles, but the project would go quickly. Rug yarn is stiffer. The best way to describe it would be the texture of string. It doesn't stretch as much as yarn would, so it would be good for things like purses. They used to have Aunt Lydia's Rug Yarn in all the yarn stores. You don't see it anymore. I know it's around, but I think you have to order it online.

· Registered
458 Posts
Mart77 said:
Hi All,
Some one has give me 2 bags of rug yarn 5 or 6 different colors. I do not do rugs. What else could I knit or crochet with this yarn.
Any suggestions would really be appreciated.
Rug yarn is perfect for hot pads and pot holders. I am using pot holders i crocheted when my 40 something sons were just 6 years old. They last forever and make wonderful gifts.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom