Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
My friend was cleaning her attic and found a bag of rug yarn, she gave them to me because she does not knit or cochet, i don't know what can i make out of it. it has variety of colors, whole new skeins of yarn, it says on the label rug yarn, any ideas???

·
Registered
4,218 Posts
Is this rug yarn the short (2 - 3 inches) precut bits for hooked rugs or is it like knitting yarn?
I got a case of cones of nylon rug yarn from eBay years ago. It was too stiff and scratchy for anything that would be worn as clothing but the mesh shopping bags I knit from it are a big hit.

Attachments

·
Registered
231 Posts
new knitter said:
Hi,
My friend was cleaning her attic and found a bag of rug yarn, she gave them to me because she does not knit or cochet, i don't know what can i make out of it. it has variety of colors, whole new skeins of yarn, it says on the label rug yarn, any ideas???
Aunt Lydia's brand of rug yarn can be used for many things. There are still instruction booklets available on eBay for projects made from Aunt Lydia's rug yarn. I use it mainly for slippers, my mother used it to make potholders. You can also make vests, stuffed toys, and rugs.

Happy Knitting!
Charity Knitter

·
Registered
36 Posts
Might you be willing to sell the yarn? I cover hangers with it and can only find the yarn in stores like Salvation Army, Good Will. If yes, please contact me by replying to this message and we will take the next step. GC

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Grama, i am sorry i don't want to sell them , i want to make something in memory of my friend's mom, the yarn belonged to her. i want to make something and give it to my friend. Sorry. if i have left over i will email you private and give them to you to cover some hangers, but first thing first :)

·
Registered
789 Posts
I don't recomend this but...Back in the 70's a friend of mine and I decided to teach ourselves to crochet. She wanted to crochet a cover for her PaPason chair. We got a magazine and worked together and it came out great. I then decided to crochet a rug for my bedroom. I got a bit carried away and... well I ended up with a wall to wall granny square carpet. It was not at all practical but went well with my waterbed.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I use 3 strands of the cotton and large needles to make rugs in a garter stitch. They wear really well and wash up beautifully. I made one for a bath mat an one larger one for in front of my kitchen sink. My whole family loves them. Just an idea.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I certainly understand and applaud your respect for your friend. Keep in touch if you should have leftovers. There are a number of wonderful suggestions for use from your online friends. Take care and have fun remembering your friend while you create. GC

·
Registered
36 Posts
I certainly understand and applaud your respect for your friend. Keep in touch if you should have leftovers. There are a number of wonderful suggestions for use from your online friends. Take care and have fun remembering your friend while you create. GC

·
Registered
66 Posts
new knitter said:
Hi,
I make scrubbies for the kitchen out of rug yarn, I like it better than the netting most people use.
Jalia

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
My girlfriend likes to braid many strands together to make a durable tug toy for her dogs. I happened upon a stash that I used to make trivets on a loom.

·
Registered
169 Posts
new knitter said:
Hi,
Market bags....perfect for rug yarn. There is a pattern for a nice crocheted mesh bag on a website that I looked at yesterday. I'm getting some rug yarn just to make some bags for me.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom