Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a ball of Rumba sparkle because the shop had a scarf made up and it looked lovely ! The instructions are on the band of the wool but I just cant understand what Im supposed to do ! LOL !! Has anyone used this ? It looks as though it should be simple but am I supposed to have another ball of wool to knit the stitches that I pick up ? Any help would be appreciated !

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just found this so Im off to try it . Just posting in case anyone else has trouble understanding the instructions !

"How to knit a Rumba Scarf!
There are instructions on the inside of the ball band but I found the instructions a little vague. If like me, you find yourself scratching your head when you look at them, try this.........Open the ribbon so you have a mesh, don’t ‘cast on’, just slide your needle through the mesh to make a stitch (leaving a tail to fasten in later). You only need to make between 5 and 7 stitches depending how ‘full’ you want the scarf. You then knit into the stitches you have slotted on as normal knitting but instead of wrapping ‘all’ the yarn round the needle, you just use the top bit of the ribbon to make your new stitch. Keep your ribbon 'stretched out flat' as you are knitting and avoid twisting it. Every row is knit. To finish off, you don’t need to cast off, you can just use a wide eyed needle and thread it through the stitches, draw up and fasten off (like the top of a hat). Fasten off your tail end from the start in a similar way. Have a look at the pics below too, these may help a little. Rumba and Rumba Sparkle are very easy when you know how, you don't need to be a skilled knitter and tension isn't important either! A lot of people ask me about needle size, the ball band suggests 8 - 9mm, I found that needle size doesn't make a lot of difference to the finished product and I generally use a 5.5mm or 6mm needle as they go through the holes in the mesh well without it sliding off! The length of the yarn you leave between stitches 'does' however make a difference, I find about 4cm from the stitch to the new bit of ribbon you pop on to the needle to make the next stitch is a good length. Good luck and have fun :)
:D

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You are welcome Gail. I think the size of the needles is important though ! I started this last night on size 6½ mm and theres no way one ball will ever be enough to knit the scarf as its supposed to do. So this morning I ripped it out and intend to start it later on 8 or 9 mm as recommended on the band.
Mags

macdonaldgail said:
Thanks Mags.
Happy Knitting
Gail

·
Registered
117 Posts
You may have figured this out by now, but I was confused when I was knitting my first scarf, and went online and found a utube video! Then I could see what I was supposed to do! I have knit many since!

Hope this helps!

Linda in Newfoundland

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Linda I will have a look at utube though I think I know (sort of ) what to do now. The video would be a great help . I ripped out what I had done because I thought it wasnt loose enough and so the one ball would not be enough. Thanks very much.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I, too, got a skein of "ruffle" yarn and here is how it works. I use #13 needles. To cast on, just poke the needle into the edge of the yarn. Then about 2" down the yarn, poke another hole. I cast on six stitches as I didn't want a real wide scarf. The "putsy" part of this yarn is that you have to open it as you go along with your stitches, being careful NOT TO TWIST it. Start knitting as you usually do only instead of putting the yarn around the needle after picking up your stitch off your left needle, you again poke a hole in the yarn and then draw it through the left needle stitch. Continue in this way until you have all of your stitches on your right needle, turn and continue. REMEMBER - when you poke your hole, be sure to have the yarn opened and stay on the same edge all the way through.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks KateAnnie
Does it really just take one ball to knit a scarf ? I had a few inches knit but I thought maybe I needed a bigger needle as it didnt look as if one ball (or even 2 ) might be enough !!!

Kateannie said:
I, too, got a skein of "ruffle" yarn and here is how it works. I use #13 needles. To cast on, just poke the needle into the edge of the yarn. Then about 2" down the yarn, poke another hole. I cast on six stitches as I didn't want a real wide scarf. The "putsy" part of this yarn is that you have to open it as you go along with your stitches, being careful NOT TO TWIST it. Start knitting as you usually do only instead of putting the yarn around the needle after picking up your stitch off your left needle, you again poke a hole in the yarn and then draw it through the left needle stitch. Continue in this way until you have all of your stitches on your right needle, turn and continue. REMEMBER - when you poke your hole, be sure to have the yarn opened and stay on the same edge all the way through.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
i made a lot of these scarfs for xmas. they are very easy and your instructions are perfect. The only thing i would like to add is when you start, fold it and pick both ends together as a st and first row knit as one. this gives a good start to the scarf. Also when i finish, I split the ends and tie a knot which will never unravel in case some one pulls on the scarf.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
i made a lot of these scarfs for xmas. they are very easy and your instructions are perfect. The only thing i would like to add is when you start, fold it and pick both ends together as a st and first row knit as one. this gives a good start to the scarf. Also when i finish, I split the ends and tie a knot which will never unravel in case some one pulls on the scarf.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Saroj
It looked lovely knit up in the shop so if mine turns out half as nice I will be well pleased. Thanks for your tips !
hugs
Mags

Saroj said:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom