Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw some cheap (yes I should have known) yarn on eBay which I thought was dk weight. Turns out its Aran - bulky weight. I have 400 grms of variegated 100 % cotton yarn. Have tried knitting a blanket, but it looks awful and it doesn't drape well. Tried crocheting a cape using 6mm hook although the colours look better than knitted articles, because it doesn't drape well, I'm ripping it back. Soooooo, has anyone got any ideas of what I can use it for please? Other than reselling it of course!!!

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Hot pads don't need to drape. I've made some using two strands of non-bulky cotton held together and a washcloth pattern to make something thick enough to use as a hot pad or pot holder.

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Until very recently, I have never used bulky yarn. But, saw this pattern for a sheep pillow-by Purl Soho - you can find it on line at their web site. It is called the bobble sheep pillow. So cute. Requires bulky yarn. It is a really soft and squishy and fun.

·
Registered
18,232 Posts
Go to Ravelry... you can enter the yarn weight (bulky or aran) and the yardage (hopefully you know, or know how to figure that out... there are ways)
Enter knit or crochet, your preference.... you will get options on what to do with it....

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanking you everyone, super quick replies. Loving the idea of bags. May also try a bath mat. I just don't need any more mats heat pads and don't know anyone to give as gifts. Older generation already have and younger ones rarely use! Will do the ravelry search thing though, thanks X :)

·
Registered
8,886 Posts
If it is 100% cotton and bulky you could crochet a basket for storing more yarn or anything for that matter. I used some that I got donated to me and used it three strands at a time. It made a very nice basket I'll try to take a picture of it and post it so you can see what I did if you think that will help.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
I too have a problem with the large quantity of cotton yarn I purchased. I wanted to make dish cloths and read that Sugar and Creme was the best for that purpose. Previously I had knit some wonderful ones from a yarn that was cotton and linen. They were and still are, great so I thought I'd try the Sugar and Creme. I bought quite a bit in varying shades. I find the dishcloths far too heavy in that yarn, and now I have a big stash. Trying to figure out what to use it for as I don't need a bag or other things suggested for this yarn. I think maybe the best bet for me would be a bath mat. ( a very colorful one indeed!) I purchased it all at Michaels. Wonder if they'd take it back without a sales slip!!

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Bambagirl said:
A guitar strap in chunky/bulky weight variegated cotton yarn would look fantastic and be much appreciated by any guitarist.

I know you said you're already making a bag now but I just wanted to endorse this idea!
Thank you for your input, indeed! Actually all 5 of my children play guitar, maybe that would be a great solution. Thanks. I sure will consider it! :sm24:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom