Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yarnitecture, a knitter's guide to spinning: Building exactly the yarn you want.

I preodered this book a couple of months ago and just got it recently. By just browsing though I now understand griest, and why it is important and when to figure it out. That there are seven finishing methods, pros, cons and why you would choose which one to use. A understandable discussion of twist, and other fun 'spinning' stuff.
Oh, and 12 knitting patterns made with handspun complete with spinning notes for each one.

This book is making me feel that I can be a spinning goddess ...

·
Registered
12,411 Posts
wordancer said:
Yarnitecture, a knitter's guide to spinning: Building exactly the yarn you want.

I preodered this book a couple of months ago and just got it recently. By just browsing though I now understand griest, and why it is important and when to figure it out. That there are seven finishing methods, pros, cons and why you would choose which one to use. A understandable discussion of twist, and other fun 'spinning' stuff.
Oh, and 12 knitting patterns made with handspun complete with spinning notes for each one.

This book is making me feel that I can be a spinning goddess ...
I'm so glad it is helping you. I always worry when I buy books I can not read a few pages or read the important stuff to see if it will really work for me before I buy. Enjoy it and pass on anything you have learned.

·
Registered
10,143 Posts
If you're looking it up, look up grist. Griest is a German word that means how finely you're milling flour. Actually, grist is the English word for the same thing, but grist is applied to how finely you're spinning yarn, too.

It's basically the length of yarn per pound that you're spinning. This, along with Wraps Per Inch will tell you a lot about the weight of your yarn as in whether it's fingering, sport, DK, worsted, or what.

http://ravnerdwars.info/2013/07/guest-blogger-spinning-101-measuring-handspun-wpi-and-grist/

·
Registered
10,143 Posts
I looked on Amazon and found the book, new, for about half the price mentioned earlier. It's also available as a Kindle book for even less.

https://smile.amazon.com/Yarnitecture-Knitters-Spinning-Building-Exactly/dp/1612125212/ref=tmm_hrd_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1472331944&sr=1-1

The reason I usually give Amazon links is that they have a pretty good description of the item in question, and they have reviews by people who bought and used the item. For books, they often let you see a selection of the pages. They also, frequently have good prices. In this case, although the pages they show you are random and sometimes change with a different viewing, I didn't see any of the pages with photos of the finished project.

But you can see some photos of a few of the projects here: http://www.storey.com/books/yarnitecture/

·
Registered
11,515 Posts
I will never be a champion spinner. I spin to relax (better than Valium) and I can't be worrying about everything should be watching. I decide to spin a certain weight and pin a short sample on my shirt (learned that in a class) and then just spin. That is as far as I go. On the other hand I am so impressed by those who seek perfection and admire their work. I have a friend who became a Master Spinner and that is fine for her - but I just bumble along and enjoy it. I do like to be knowledgeable, however and never saw Griest/Grist before - a good easy way of saying it. I don't deserve my beautiful handmade cherry Norm Hall wheel that is smarter than I am but I love having it and love my little work-horse wheel, too. Kudos to those who aspire!

·
Registered
10,143 Posts
shepherd said:
I will never be a champion spinner. I spin to relax (better than Valium) and I can't be worrying about everything should be watching. I decide to spin a certain weight and pin a short sample on my shirt (learned that in a class) and then just spin. That is as far as I go. On the other hand I am so impressed by those who seek perfection and admire their work. I have a friend who became a Master Spinner and that is fine for her - but I just bumble along and enjoy it. I do like to be knowledgeable, however and never saw Griest/Grist before - a good easy way of saying it. I don't deserve my beautiful handmade cherry Norm Hall wheel that is smarter than I am but I love having it and love my little work-horse wheel, too. Kudos to those who aspire!
That's a great philosophy, and shows that different people can have different goals.

Doing what's good for you is what it's all about!

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
shepherd said:
I will never be a champion spinner. I spin to relax (better than Valium) and I can't be worrying about everything ... Kudos to those who aspire!
Posts like this make me wish we had a "I love this comment" button! What a great philosophy.

And thanks to the OP for posting about the book. I still haven't spent my Kindle credit... :sm09:

·
Registered
9,617 Posts
shepherd said:
I am never going to be a champion spinner and that's ok. I will know when I am relaxed spinning when I don't need to get a glass of wine when I set up the wheel. Lol. You sure do deserve your wheel so enjoy spinning and relaxing. Love your tip about pinning a sample on your shirt. Will be doing that.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom