Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a couple of cakes of Willow Yarn Wheels from Charliesaunt here on KP, and glad I did. It made an attractive balanced tabby weave scarf on my rigid heddle loom, for both the warp and weft. It's going into the box from which I will sort presents for Christmas. The color of this yarn is Eden and I see they have more on the Willows website at a very reasonable price. I didn't try to control how the color played out, just letting it come out how it would and I think it turned out very nicely.

The one thing I am disappointed about with the scarf is that it turned out only 64 inches (before fringe) and I thought I had measured my weave properly, using a 72" piece off yarn tied to the first pick and having it play out as I wound the woven material on the front beam. Maybe I should have not assumed that worked and unrolled it all and measured before cutting off the loom? Does anyone have tips for measuring the woven length as you go?

Thank you.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,758 Posts
gardenpoet said:
I bought a couple of cakes of Willow Yarn Wheels from Charliesaunt here on KP, and glad I did. It made an attractive balanced tabby weave scarf on my rigid heddle loom, for both the warp and weft. It's going into the box from which I will sort presents for Christmas. The color of this yarn is Eden and I see they have more on the Willows website at a very reasonable price. I didn't try to control how the color played out, just letting it come out how it would and I think it turned out very nicely.

The one thing I am disappointed about with the scarf is that it turned out only 64 inches (before fringe) and I thought I had measured my weave properly, using a 72" piece off yarn tied to the first pick and having it play out as I wound the woven material on the front beam. Maybe I should have not assumed that worked and unrolled it all and measured before cutting off the loom? Does anyone have tips for measuring the woven length as you go?

Thank you.
What i have been doing to measure length during weaving. Is measure three inches at time and place a straight pin. Then keep advancing the straight pin every three inches. i keep track with tick marks on my note sheet for the project. (I have this old school fondness for tick marks) Dont forget to allow for uptake and washing shrinkage. This is why one should do a sample piece. (Which i have to admit i haven't yet). I'm sure there are other ways measure...but as of now i am happy with doing it my way for now.

·
Registered
8,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
wordancer said:
What i have been doing to measure length during weaving. Is measure three inches at time and place a straight pin. Then keep advancing the straight pin every three inches. i keep track with tick marks on my note sheet for the project. (I have this old school fondness for tick marks) Dont forget to allow for uptake and washing shrinkage. This is why one should do a sample piece. (Which i have to admit i haven't yet). I'm sure there are other ways measure...but as of now i am happy with doing it my way for now.
Thank you. I'll give that a shot.

·
Registered
8,050 Posts
It’s very pretty. I got a piece of sewing tape that is pretty sturdy and about 3/4” wide, marked it off in inches and half inches, and I pin it to my project as I weave. It also helps if trying to maintain sections to the same size. I have used it for years. When I took weaving classes, the instructor had us use adding machine tape pinned to the weaving. Shows my age, who has adding machine tape anymore!

·
Registered
8,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OdileC said:
Your work is gorgeous! Here's the link on how to calculate the 'take up' , so well explained by Madelyne. Thanks for sharing your piece of art! Odile ????

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwjc58OvxP_sAhVNiFkKHTSHDhsQFjAAegQIBBAC&url=https%3A%2F%2Fhandwovenmagazine.com%2Fhow-to-weave-calculating-take-up%2F&usg=AOvVaw0xyEbg6b6Ve-RgVf9A3xTG
Thank you-- that's helpful. Clearly, measuring what I am weaving as I am in the process only gives one factor of the equation. Probably one reason why my measurement is so far off is because I weave with a lot of tension on my warp. It's the only way I can keep the heddle from falling over when it is on the top position. That is one disappointment I have with the Kromski RHL, and probably a reason I would recommend against this loom--though since I bought mine during the pandemic, I had no opportunity to try any others. So, now I know I will need to add extra to my weaving even though it measures to what I want as I go. The idea of sampling has been hard to swallow, as it would use up quite a lot of warp from having to tie up twice at the front beam and the extra at the end of the sample before cutting it off. Not to mention the used up weft yarn...but it seems to be the way to go if I want to learn to be an accomplished weaver.

·
Registered
5,269 Posts
A question to experienced weavers - would using a small cardboard loom or samplet loom or something similar be good enough for a sample piece to figure out shrinkage? (If you warp it to the same EPI, ect....)

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
I use grosgrain ribbon cut to the length I need and pin it on as I go. I write on the ribbon so I know what each length is for and I have marks on it every six inches. So far, it has worked beautifully! If Walmart had twill tape, I would probably have gotten that, but the ribbon wasn’t expensive and works beautifully. For me, measuring as I go doesn’t work as I frequently get so focused, I forget to measure.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Pinning a measuring ribbon (in material preferably) on one side of the work is a must to know how far the project is and move on pinning the ribbon as we go along, ideally when tension is released at the end of a weaving session. ????

·
Registered
6,743 Posts
Very pretty

·
Registered
8,050 Posts
BirchPoint said:
A question to experienced weavers - would using a small cardboard loom or samplet loom or something similar be good enough for a sample piece to figure out shrinkage? (If you warp it to the same EPI, ect....)
I would think so, rather like making a gauge swatch in knitting. Many people put enough warp on to sample.

·
Registered
671 Posts
wordancer said:
I take a long measuring tape and pin it right to the finished cloth, on the far right edge - advancing the pinned tape as I wind up the woven warp. I weave blankets on my 72" Cranbrook, so I have the Length I have woven right there on the measuring tape.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom