Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to make a cashmere scarf for my best friend. He is male. He wants it to be a very tight knit. I was planning on just using garter stitch. Any suggestions on size of needles, measurement of the scarf itself and type of cashmere yarn to get? It needs to be 100% cashmere. Thanks in advance for your help! This is a very important project to me!

·
Registered
4,988 Posts
You may want to try seed stitch. It is a nice tight knit and might be a bit dressier than garter stitch.

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/christians-scarf

This is a nice scarf. I made it for my husband and he really likes it. You could adjust the number of stitches too get the width you need and to match your yarn. There is a hat to match.

I know some of the members have ordered cashmere from China and been really pleased with the product, cost and service. The size needle you choose will be determined by the weight of the yarn you purchase.

·
Registered
12,145 Posts
Garter stitch will be very stretchy. It's just the nature of the beast. U might want to try a garter st border around stocking st with a simple cable down the middle. I've also made one in a neutral color with seed st borders all around, plain stocking st with a stripe of maroon/black/white at the end of the garter st part.

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
Linday said:
You may want to try seed stitch. It is a nice tight knit and might be a bit dressier than garter stitch.

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/christians-scarf

This is a nice scarf. I made it for my husband and he really likes it. You could adjust the number of stitches too get the width you need and to match your yarn. There is a hat to match.

I know some of the members have ordered cashmere from China and been really pleased with the product, cost and service. The size needle you choose will be determined by the weight of the yarn you purchase.
I love this scarf for men. I also have a man friend who wanted a "plain Bob" scarf in green. I had a beautiful forest greed tweed yarn but couldn't stand the idea of all that garter stitching! I figured if he didn't like it I would! He loved it! When he said plain, he meant no lace since that's what I usually do the most.

So I second the christian scarf....my husband wants the next one!

·
Registered
776 Posts
mchristian22 said:
Thanks for the advice! It was suggested that I use the garter stitch. He wants a plain scarf with no frills. Any ideas? Keep in mind I'm still new at all this!!! Thank you!!!!!
Linen stitch would a make a plain flat kniit and would be very elegant and soft in cashmere.

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
I would not do a plain garter stitch either...I like jan's idea...cashmere screems for something a bit more sophisticated. A reversable basket weave would be nice too. A seed stitch will lay flat and be reversible also. The amount of yarn you will need depends on the length and width you make the scarf. The size of your needles will also depend on the yarn weight. Look on the skein label to help you decide that. if he is a tall man the scarf might need to be a bit longer. Does he want to wrap it? or just wear it once around the neck and tucked in to his coat? I would not make a cashmere scarf any wider then 8 inches....good luck...

·
Registered
33 Posts
You may want to consider a "linen stitch scarf" free on ravelry. Very tightly woven and you don't necessarily have to use tiny needles.

It was a bit of a challenge for me, at first, but once I got the hang of it, it was very, very easy!!! Of course I'm a bit slow on the uptake.

Good luck!!

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
I did a quick search on Ravelry and found this one made of cashmere. You could eliminate the stripes if you wanted, but it gives you the amount of cashmere you'd need and an idea for how to make the scarf. There were many other options if you just put your requirements in the search menu and look for them there. Good luck :) Lynn
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/leos-roadtrip-cashmere-scarf

·
Registered
839 Posts
The Ravelry scarf looks plain enough, but remember when choosing a stitch pattern that you will want a scarf that does NOT curl on the edges! Cashmere doesn't just curl on the edges, it ROLLS from side to side in stockinette. It's also a good idea to consider a cashmere yarn that has a little bit of something else with it. Cashmere is SO soft all by itself that it does no wear well, meaning it is too delicate. You dont't often see 100% cashmere for that reason. If you are taking a vote, I'm against garter stitch and in favor of seed or moss St with a slip-St edge.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom