Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I have just gotten a pattern for a corkscrew scarf.
My problem is it tells me to use a 10 1/2 circular needle. The problem is it doesn't tell me to keep going right around or knit back and forth. Help all.

·
Registered
247 Posts
If you used a straight needle for all those stitches, it would be very awkward. My favorite method is to use a "jumper" needle (do they still make these?) that have plastic cables but are not connected. If you have a set of interchangeable needles, attach your size 10.5 ends to two different cables and put the discs on each end. This is even easier than working on a circular needle.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
THE CORKSCREW scarf is fun, make it in light weight yarn, it is an accessory not for warmth
has any one made a scarf/boa from self ruffling ribbon.
the ribbonlooks like medical gauze, comes in fantastic colors but it is so so expensive. I would love to find a source for less expensive version of this yarn. it really makes a striking scarf, or a cowl to decorate a plain blouse
thanks

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi,

There is a web site called Knit Picks. It's a wonderful site to check for subsitute yarn. Someone answered to my question on this site and put me onto Knit Picks. This is the greatest site ever.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have made several of these. I have done them all on straight needles so you can use a circular and just turn it back and forth if you want to. My pattern is k20 stitches
knit 8
turn and knit back 8
knit 6
turn and k6
knit 4
turn and knit4
then knit across and repeat pattern. Mine is called a ruffle scarf but it does make a corkscrew. I have also modified it and made it smaller with fewer stitches for different yarns or needles. I love it!

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the reply. I also have recently made the ruffle version. I have had so many remarks when I wear it. This pattern starts with 90 stitches. It then increases stitches. I can't wait until I get the yarn. It should be here on Monday.

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
josie, if you have a scarf made similarly to the pattern posted by patriot, you just knit back and forth. You won't knit all the way across, just the number of stitches the pattern says then turn and knit back in the opposite direction. You are knitting what are called short rows. You use a circular needle because it's longer and so you don't have to squeeze a lot of stitches on a straight needle. If you look on reavelry or just Google helix scarf pattern, you will see a number of different patterns. These are sometimes called potato chip scarves. There is another potato chip scarf made very differently. Hopefully, you'll find a photo so you know which scarf you have a pattern for. If you see spiral or corckscrew in a scarf's title or description, it's probably a scarf like yours or one of the other kinds of potato chip scarf.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom