Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do people realise that the number of deaths in the USA from covid-19 is equivalent to 70 World Trade Centre incidents, that is one incident every four days. Kind of puts things into perspective doesn't it?

·
Banned
16,047 Posts
Henny Penny said:
Do people realise that the number of deaths in the USA from covid-19 is equivalent to 70 World Trade Centre incidents, that is one incident every four days. Kind of puts things into perspective doesn't it?
WOW!

It certainly does....

I wonder what trump said about 9/11 at the time, so I looked?

I found this, showing that he had absolutely no feelings about the victims, but bragged (wrongly) that now one of his buildings was now the tallest, which it wasn't!

Not a word about the victims at the time!!!

https://www.businessinsider.de/international/trump-september-11-interview-tallest-building-manhattan-2017-9/?r=US&IR=T

On September 11, 2001, just hours after terrorists brought down the World Trade Center, Donald Trump seemed to brag that one of his buildings was now the tallest in downtown Manhattan.
„I mean, 40 Wall Street actually was the second-tallest building in downtown Manhattan, and it was actually before the World Trade Center the tallest, and then when they built the World Trade Center it became known as the second-tallest, and now it's the tallest," he said.

The interview came under scrutiny during Trump's 2016 presidential campaign.

Trump's claim that his building was then the tallest in downtown Manhattan wasn't accurate - the nearby 70 Pine Street building is 25 feet taller than Trump's 40 Wall Street, though Trump's building has four more stories.

„Donald, you have one of the landmark buildings down in the Financial District, 40 Wall Street," said Alan Marcus, a WWOR analyst. „Did you have any damage, or did you - what's happened down there?"

Trump's response seemed to focus less on the deadly attack than on the fact that the World Trade Center was no longer the tallest building in the area.

„Well, it was an amazing phone call," Trump said. „I mean, 40 Wall Street actually was the second tallest building in downtown Manhattan, and it was actually before the World Trade Center the tallest, and then when they built the World Trade Center it became known as the second tallest, and now it's the tallest."

--------------------
What President Trump did after the 9/11 attacks!!

https://edition.cnn.com/videos/politics/2020/09/11/trump-september-11-reality-check-9-11-avlon-newday-vpx.cnn

Video is on the web link.
----------------------------------
Trump repeats controversial 9/11 claim, lies again in public, and that he can see from 4 miles away, people jumping out of the buildings!!

--------------------------------
Fact checking Donald Trump's 9/11 claims! All lies from trump in 2015!

-------------------------------
Fact checking Donald Trump's 9/11 claims he saw 1,000s of Muslims cheering as the towers came down!!

Republican frontrunner Donald Trump is refusing to back down from his claim that he saw Muslims in New Jersey cheering during the attacks on 9/11. Trump is demanding apologies from critics, after engaging in a Twitter feud with radio host Curtis Sliwa. CBSN's Elaine Quijano has more.

There are a great many videos of trump, with his very obviously "pants on fire, talking about about 9/11.

Many thanks for bringing up such important infos, but still very sad that he does not at least mention COVID as much as he has the twin Towers!!! Demonstrating what is important to trump, as the twin towers happened on Bush's watch of course!!!

regards

Andy

·
Registered
23,230 Posts
Henny Penny said:
Do you realize that anyone who dies with covid, even from an auto accident is listed as a covid death? Numbers are at the least somewhat skewed.

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
I don’t think that’s quite how it works. However, if one has COVID and , say, a heart condition or diabetes, and then passes away in the hospital on a respirator, COVID is, indeed, the cause of death even though the person had another condition.

Other countries are NOT ignoring COVID as a cause of death. They just have less virus circulating than the USA.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
JTM said:
Do you realize that anyone who dies with covid, even from an auto accident is listed as a covid death? Numbers are at the least somewhat skewed.
I feel positive that doctors and nurses can tell the difference between death from a traumatic accident and one from COVID (with the ventilator etc.). The number of virus deaths may actually be higher than reported because someone can die from a heart attack or organ failure that was caused by COVID. You're cherry-picking.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Kensbarb said:
Dying with covid is very different from dying from covid. If you are in hospice and have cancer and contact covid did covid kill you? Quite frankly, does it really matter?
Keeping accurate statistics matters. It is how we know that the U.S. absolutely leads the world in COVID deaths and that it is the U.S.'s cavalier attitude toward this virus that keeps it multiplying. Medical professionals can distinguish between a death caused by COVID and one caused by something else, even if that person contracted COVID in the meantime. One way in which it certainly does matter is that, even though the patient had underlying problems, he caught COVID because of the public's dismissive attitude toward it. And we will continue to kill many more people because idiots don't take it seriously.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
JTM said:
I doubt that someone who is killed in an auto accident and has covid would be counted as a covid death.

It is far more likely that there is an undercount. If we look at the number of deaths each year and compare to the same time this year, we can get an idea of how many more deaths were were in any given period.

Here's an article from last week:

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/07/01/official-us-coronavirus-death-toll-is-a-substantial-undercount-of-actual-tally-new-yale-study-finds.html

Here are the key points:

KEY POINTS
The 781,000 total deaths in the U.S. in the three months through May 30 were nearly 19% higher than what would normally be expected, the study said.
The number of excess deaths from any causes were 28% higher than the official tally of U.S. Covid-19 deaths during those months.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
I had a Dr. Friend tell me that hospitals are calling EVERY person, whether it's a heart attack or other illness, a covid case because they get paid 32 thousand dollars more if they call it covid. What a scam!!!

·
Banned
16,047 Posts
hobbyknit said:
I had a Dr. Friend tell me that hospitals are calling EVERY person, whether it's a heart attack or other illness, a covid case because they get paid 32 thousand dollars more if they call it covid. What a scam!!!
Such thoughts strongly need verification, to be made worth something, otherwise it is just hot air, and can be safely ignored.

Telling others, like myself for example, to go out and do the research, shows that they do not have any support for your Doctor's assertions, as in this example, your Doctor!

Its always better to quote a reliable and robust source when making any such statement.

A web link to a fully believable (Snopes for example) source, would be fantastic.

Thanks in advance.

Andy

Here is how to do it properly:-

But I did some basic and simple research anyway, and your Doctor has fed you a line of C*AP, he should be struck off, at least!

See here:-

Hospital Payments and the COVID-19 Death Count

https://www.factcheck.org/2020/04/hospital-payments-and-the-covid-19-death-count/

FactCheck.org has won many awards for honesty, integrity and clarity:-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FactCheck.org

·
Registered
15,290 Posts
whitetail said:
One really has nothing to do with the other, two different causes
The connection is trying to put a sense of scale to numbers too large to seem real. For me the number is the equivalent of the deaths of every man woman and child in 135+ towns the size of mine, by tomorrow it will be 136, a day and a half later 137.

·
Registered
11,992 Posts
TI do not believe that medical professionals are deliberately fudging the figures to spite Trump. Most have integrity, a word possibly beyond Trump’s comprehension. I do believe that it is possible that sometimes covid is missed when a person dies of other causes, especially pre-existing lung disease.

·
Registered
15,290 Posts
hobbyknit said:
I'm going to call BS on this. Defrauding the government has serious repercussions; physicians can lose their licenses, hospitals their certification. If a Medicare patient has a bedsore, the government will use that to deny payment unless the hospital can prove the patient had it on admission. In times of crisis, mistakes will be made and audits lag behind. But wide spread fraud, I don't buy it. Covid screening for everyone with the right mix of symptoms, possibly. But claiming every patient has Covid, no way. Symptoms, lab work, treatments all have to match to get payment. I spent decades making sure FULL skin assessments were done on all admissions and questioning patients about UTI symptoms to insure none were missed, both for the patient's sake and so the government couldn't say the problem occurred in the hospital. I'm sure if I get admitted with a gall bladder attack, no one is going to be able to turn that into Covid.

·
Registered
6,747 Posts
Henny Penny said:
This happened recently: My friend's father died: cause of death: Covid 19
Ok, my friend is an RN, and works at the hospital where her father died, from congestive heart failure.
She had to order an autopsy to prove, he died of congestive heart failure and NOT covid 19.
Do not believe everything you read!

·
Registered
20,225 Posts
hobbyknit said:
Your Dr. friend is spreading an unfounded 'possibility', not a reality. IF that were happening, it would be fraud.
"Provision in the relief act
The coronavirus relief legislation created a 20% premium, or add-on, for COVID-19 Medicare patients.

There have been no public reports that hospitals are exaggerating COVID-19 numbers to receive higher Medicare payments.

Jensen didn't explicitly make that claim. He simply suggested there is an "avenue" to do so now that "plausible" COVID-19, not just laboratory-confirmed, cases can be greenlighted for Medicare payment and eligible for the 20% add-on allowed under the relief act."

There are however, reports of states undercounting cases, as in Florida. https://www.sun-sentinel.com/coronavirus/fl-ne-florida-coronavirus-deaths-delays-explanation-20201024-jb2qc2plcvedzi6hg2e4rq2bke-story.html

1 - 20 of 108 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom