Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed this before on fabric but this Summer Tweed from Rowan still smells of that natural silk smell after washing and blocking. It is going to be a gift so I want to mask the smell. What would yall suggest for this?

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
NO, NO not baking soda, it will ruin the silk. I never knew silk had a scent. I would rinse in a tiny bit of fabric softener or hair conditioner with a nice scent and rinse well. You don't need much or it will take a lot of rinsing to get out.

Then block again. Hope this helps. It may be the wool you are smelling.

·
Premium Member
3,359 Posts
Never knew baking soda would ruin silk. I have never used it on knitting but have on silk woven fabrics, never had a problem. Sorry if I gave bad advice because I sure would not want any knitted project ruined!

·
Registered
12,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
KateLyn11 said:
As someone who can be sensitive to scents I would air the garment well and think twice before masking any scent.
The cowl has been washed in a good hand wash soap and dried and aired already. This is not enough. I even aired it in the sun outside. It needs something more. I'll try the vinegar rinse if this current yarn therapy does not work.

·
Registered
15,103 Posts

·
Registered
4,768 Posts
laceluvr said:
There is some good information on Google. There are also instructions that may help you get the odor out. You may have to repeat whatever process you try several times. The smell comes from the sericin in the silk worm gum when the yarn or fabric is not degummed thoroughly. Good luck.

https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=ALeKk02B2VnqeZhjrGwyGYnPLRUoGKVIaw%3A1603963141801&ei=BYmaX9-1MMfh-gTDlbGIBw&q=how+to+remove+the+natural+silk+odor+from+silk+yarn&oq=how+to+remove+the+natural+silk+odor+from+silk+yarn&gs_lcp=CgZwc3ktYWIQAzoECAAQRzoHCCEQChCgAToFCCEQqwI6BQghEKABOggIIRAWEB0QHlDXMVja9wFgi_oBaABwAngAgAGRAYgBtzCSAQUxMS40NJgBAKABAaoBB2d3cy13aXrIAQjAAQE&sclient=psy-ab&ved=0ahUKEwifzLKqvNnsAhXHsJ4KHcNKDHEQ4dUDCA0&uact=5
Thank you for the info and the link.
I thought it smells like a wet animal.????

·
Registered
12,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You may have to repeat whatever process you try several times. The smell comes from the sericin in the silk worm gum when the yarn or fabric is not degummed thoroughly.[/quote said:
This is raw silk and this explanation makes sense. I will try washing again with a stronger detergent and multiple gentle washings and rinsings.
I misted it thoroughly with Odorban and let it dry. It is no longer offensive but still not odorless.
For anyone that has not used it Odorban is a strong disinfectant scented with essential oils. It has a strong fragrance similar to Febreeze that dissipates. It is amazing for cleaning and sanitizing. Unlike Febreeze which just perfumes an item, Odorban kills bacteria and viruses. I use it on the dog bedding between washes, in the kitchen and on shoes and the like.
I'll let yall know how the next washing goes.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom