Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had knitted it according to the original pattern and it was far too big, so refigured it and knitted it to fit my hand. Remember the yarn will stretch when it gets wet, too, so you want it to be snug when you first put it on so it won't swish around on your hand while doing your dishes, etc.
I made a few changes to the pattern and it is easy to do, so be your own designer!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I cast on only 30 stitches and did 12 rows before the thumb hole shaping. I also joined on the right side and crocheted the top over the fingers together with a single crochet stitch. Also knitted the cuff with needles two sizes smaller (size 5). After trying it on, I was wondering why the designer just didn't make a thumb, too, rather than a hole, because it would be better for washing around the lips of glasses. I haven't tried washing with it yet, so maybe having a knitted thumb would make it harder to pick up items? We'll see - thumb can always be added. You have to make the mitt fairly snug because once it gets wet, it will stretch. Have fun!

·
Registered
14,208 Posts
Well done...I like your idea better...
Thanks for the heads-up.

Torticollus said:
I cast on only 30 stitches and did 12 rows before the thumb hole shaping. I also joined on the right side and crocheted the top over the fingers together with a single crochet stitch. Also knitted the cuff with needles two sizes smaller (size 5). After trying it on, I was wondering why the designer just didn't make a thumb, too, rather than a hole, because it would be better for washing around the lips of glasses. I haven't tried washing with it yet, so maybe having a knitted thumb would make it harder to pick up items? We'll see - thumb can always be added. You have to make the mitt fairly snug because once it gets wet, it will stretch. Have fun!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have used the Scrubby yarn an loved it. But now can not find any where. Where do you get yours, or is it just called Scrubby because of the use. There is a scrubby yarn by peaches & cream or
Sugar & cream. Any ideas.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Torticollus said:
What about leaving a thumb hole on both sides so that it could be reversed (turned over)?

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I used it and it worked quite well. I was able to wash the rims of glasses between the fingers and the heel of the hand. It did stretch quite a bit when it was wet, so can't stress enough about making it very snug when knitting it.I liked the fact that I never had to search for the dish cloth in the sink water because it was always on my hand. The only disadvantage I can see is if you wanted to wear rubber gloves. It wouldn't work well over one!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom