Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Have made the band alone, too.
Has been liked by guys who find the whole hat too warm when working, and gals who don't want quite so much hat hair.
I DO like the I-cord-cord bind-off, and will sure do it next time.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ade said:
Good idea! I think I will try one like that. It could be worn round the neck, too, with the dips at the front and back, just where Jack Frost tries to chill your neck.
Thats exactly what I said to hubby as we were out walking.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
chinook said:
Have made the band alone, too.
Has been liked by guys who find the whole hat too warm when working, and gals who don't want quite so much hat hair.
I DO like the I-cord-cord bind-off, and will sure do it next time.
It was a 3 stitch I-cord with worsted weight.

·
Registered
7,698 Posts
Very nice!
I have made some bigger hats, full hats rather than just the border, by increasing the band by nine ridges so as to pick up 91 stitches for the top of the hat rather than the 84 of the initial pattern and still maintain seven sections but of 13 stitches rather than 12.
That worked well too, in case some people want to increase the size of the hat.
If I remember properly and if I count in numbers of ridges, the initial hat is 9 9 3 9 24 9 3 9 9. I did 10 10 4 10 25 10 4 10 10, or an extra 9 ridges altogether which equals to picking up 91 stitches.
Same work for the crown but with one extra row of decreases - 7 times *knit 11 stitches, k2tog* and two rows before picking up the pattern as if there were no change. The crown is a little longer then and that seems to accommodate larger heads or thinner yarn.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom