Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have knitted a doll's pullover sweater. Started at the bottom of the back, knit to beginning of armhole, cast on stitches each side for sleeves, cast off at top of sleeve for back neck, next row cast on for front neck and continued to proper sleeve depth, cast off sleeve stitches and continued knitting front. (Get the picture? I have a sort of T-shape.) I'm now ready to join the seams. They are to be joined from the bottom, up the side and on (curved around) to the end of the sleeve. I can't lay the sides & sleeves flat right side up to join the usual way. Is there a way to seam from the wrong side (right sides together) in a way that the seams won't show? Sorry to be so wordy, but I'm trying to describe how it looks. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Hi Bonnie,

I'm almost finished with the same, one piece knitted sweater for my granddaughter. It's all garter stitch, so I was also wondering about which stitch to use to sew it together. I'm anxious to learn what the other ladies suggest.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
The mattress stitch is good and there's also an invisible one called the Bickford seam. I'd suggest you pin the garment together every inch or two. If you don't do this, the garment will stretch and your seams will be way off.

·
Registered
595 Posts
This can be done with a little practice.
It occurred to me that it might be possible to lay the edges, right sides out over a tube, and pick up the stitches on either side to sew in ladder stitch (putting the needle into one stitch on either side of the garment and then pulling the wool through) Can't remember what this stitch is called in the USA. If you try it with a tube please let me know if it works.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Just hold the two pieces together in the shape they will be when finished and use you usual seaming technique. Just keep the right side on the outside. You will be much happier than doing them on the wrong side. You could put it around a tin can or some cylindrical item . Just a thought.

·
Registered
86 Posts
this has nothing to do with the seaming but I am feeling dumb. I am making a surubbie and one row of the patterns says k1 ssk1 knit 13 stitches the k in front and back of next stitch then k last stitch. What I am confused with is i am not sure what ss means. I thought it meant slip two stitches but it is not coming out right. I appreciate any help. Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
86 Posts
this has nothing to do with the seaming but I am feeling dumb. I am making a scrubbie and one row of the patterns says k1 ssk1 knit 13 stitches then k in front and back of next stitch then k last stitch. What I am confused with is i am not sure what ss means. I thought it meant slip two stitches but it is not coming out right. I appreciate any help. Thank you in advance.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom