Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 348 Posts

·
Premium Member
81,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Auction I first saw and current listing
No, I'm not considering buying it! I was just struck by what I perceive as a clash between the description - knit, wool - and the photo. So, I sent a message to the seller asking if it were indeed knitted and if it was 'sheep's wool'. This is her (if indeed it be a woman) answer:

twoshybratt said:
yes i am the person who knitted them they are not crocheted as to you second question i never said they were sheeps wool but basic wool anyone buys at a store i am sorry you assumed they were sheeps wool.
My questions to any KPers who wish to weigh in:

> is the seller for real?

> am I right in thinking it to be crocheted - specifically afghan stitch - and made in strips?

> does anyone make - knitted or crocheted - 62" x 64" afghans in real wool???

Attachments

·
Registered
5,079 Posts
Could be knitted. No doubt however wool is just that and it should be listed as acrylic yarn.

Nowhere on my acrylic yarn do I see the word "wool" mentioned.

·
Registered
5,079 Posts
Currently listed at $100 - so no - but listed as wool which is deceptive.

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
The stitches either side of the centre panel and alround the edges definately look like crocheted popcorn st to me. I have done a baby blanket in the sts around outside. Also the background weave runs to top,but the popcorn like sts run along the side in opposite direction. definately not wool or wool blend

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
I'm sure it is just an acrylic yarn. The panels look like they are tunisian crochet with popcorn accents. I am looking for a small project that I have ... looks very similar. If it is knit, I would like to know what stitch she is using ... again, almost positive it is tunisian.

·
Registered
9,783 Posts
Where does the seller live? We, in Britain tend to call yarn wool whether it is real wool or not. I know however that you cannot advertise it that way. My issue is, is it made by someone at home or is it mass produced?

·
Premium Member
81,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I, too, am 99% sure it's afghan/tunisian stitch with generously-sized popcorns. I also think it's done in strips. I wish I had that pattern! It reminds me of one I did several years ago, but mine had smaller pop-corns and more of them.

I do believe it to have been handmade, but I seriously doubt the seller is the maker. S/he just sounds to ignorant of yarny stuff!

The eBay page says the item is located in Sarnia, Ontario, Canada, so I presume the seller lives there.

In French in Montreal, the word for wool includes all yarn; the fibre content is mentioned separately. In English in Montreal, one works with yarn, and usually only mentions the fibre content when necessary. Older folks than I may call all yarn wool, but they grew up before there was any alternative to wool, to that's understandable. I can't speak for the linguistic habits outside of the Montreal area; I haven't travelled much within Canada. :(

My guess is that the seller is a dealer or has inherited this lovely looking afghan. Nothing else makes sense! I'd never let one of my afghans that size (or even smaller) go for so little. There're too many hours involved in the making!

·
Registered
5,079 Posts
Hmmm. It said on ebay that there was more than one.

·
Premium Member
81,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
sweetsue said:
Hmmm. It said on ebay that there was more than one.
Yes. Four, one in each of four colours. That doesn't preclude their having been made by hand. I can see a doting and distantly located grandma making a series of such afghans. I only ever saw my great-grandmother twice in my life, but she sewed patchwork quilts for every one of her many, far scattered, great-grands - two for me, since my father used mine and wore it out before I grew up!

·
Premium Member
81,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
CaroleD53 said:
The price and the range of colours still makes me suspicious. Why so cheap? mass produced in the Far East ?
Imagine a person ignorant of things yarny, who inherited or bought from an estate sale a 'lot' of handmade things. All this seller wants is to cash in - the sooner, the better. No investment of time and effort equals no personal valuation of the item being sold.

Had they been mass produced in the Far East, there'd be more than 4 offered. Just look on eBay at the number of knitting needles offered by any single seller from China! They're not shy about posting dozens of times for identical sets!

·
Registered
978 Posts
it definitely looks like crocheting. I've been crocheting for over 45 years and I can't see how or what combination of stitches could be used to make it look like crochet.

She seemed kind of rude for sure - wen you're selling something you'd think courteous would be their reply

Linda

·
1,070 Posts
At a yarn shop recently, they were demonstrating knitting machines, making an item similar to this, using yarn from a cone and a pattern card. I checked on ebay, but couldn't find the afghan in the photo.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
you are right, not knowing about fibre content. it may be inherited, bought or even stolen! 'wool' is often used as a generic interchangeable term for 'yarn', as laine or lana. we say 'thread' similarly as the filament we run thru the needle eye, but not specifying whether is is polyester, cotton, metallic or whatever. this is a carryover from time when any and all yarns were wool, except for cotton and lacing.

·
Registered
15,371 Posts
CaroleD53 said:
Where does the seller live? We, in Britain tend to call yarn wool whether it is real wool or not. I know however that you cannot advertise it that way. My issue is, is it made by someone at home or is it mass produced?
I was going to say that too. I always referred to anything I knitted with as wool, only since coming on this forum have I started saying yarn.

1 - 20 of 348 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom