Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to our small post office nearest me and asked about the knitting pins some asked about and the shawl picks and it would be nearly $12 USA dollars she said!!?? Mainly due to thickness but she didnt seem to really know and said I should go to the main post office and had to get custom forms there too..will find out when I get to the regular full service post office

·
Registered
10,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
babsbarb said:
IF you have a postal code, can't you go on line and find that information?
maybe right but i wanted to see about packaging etc ..this was in an envelope with a little padding around it and I thought it would be lots less...will talk to regular postal worker soon and have to get the customs papers

·
Registered
11,971 Posts
Our sub post offices in non government stores can charge more for packages than the real post office, so check out online before using the non government postal services. Also, government postal, workers are better trained so are less likely to make an expensive error.

·
Premium Member
29,459 Posts
Sue Fish said:
I put gift on the customs order, which it was, then they don't have to pay duty or fill out a form to get delivery, etc. seems so many new rules and slower more expensive service. There is a limit for gifts, I believe it is $50.00 for no duty, first parcel I have sent in years, I use to drive up 3-4 times a year.

·
Registered
10,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Montana Gramma said:
I put gift on the customs order, which it was, then they don't have to pay duty or fill out a form to get delivery, etc. seems so many new rules and slower more expensive service. There is a limit for gifts, I believe it is $50.00 for no duty, first parcel I have sent in years, I use to drive up 3-4 times a year.
Thanks..I kind of remember saying things I sent before. We're gifts

·
Registered
4,044 Posts
The flat rate boxes to Canada start around $25. I mailed a package yesterday that had a pair of fleece pjs, a pair of fleece pants. Both small women's size. About 10 small stocking stuffers- 18" doll shoes and accessories. I still had to list the contents even as a gift. The package was wrapped in kraft paper, weighed 2lbs 6oz and cost $32.The flat rate box would have cost $35

·
Registered
7,376 Posts
The price rises for packages. The PO always tell me to squash down my item (usually yarn) and it can mail like an envelope, a lot cheaper option. But, this may not be possible for your pins. Can you put them between 2 pieces of light cardboard in an envelope?

·
Registered
10,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
KnitNorth said:
The price rises for packages. The PO always tell me to squash down my item (usually yarn) and it can mail like an envelope, a lot cheaper option. But, this may not be possible for your pins. Can you put them between 2 pieces of light cardboard in an envelope?
yes wil try that way..I did it and put in an envelope to get a quote from the post office..hope to get there Monday

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom