Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to know the easiest way of sewing seams on a knitted baby sweater. Have tried several times, and I don't like the way it looks. Is it possible to put on the sewing machine or serger?

·
Registered
7,116 Posts
((((((( I've heard of them done on sewing marchines but none done on a serger.....

What method did you use to seam yours? Did you slip the first stitch as if to purl when using stockinette? What is your sweater pattern stitch?

Hail me in private message of the forum if you'd like and we can talk in more detail when you answer the questions........

TTYL!

berryshake said:
I would like to know the easiest way of sewing seams on a knitted baby sweater. Have tried several times, and I don't like the way it looks. Is it possible to put on the sewing machine or serger?

·
Registered
31 Posts
as sewing up a garment can make or break it try mattress stitching it. if you don't know how to do it try Google and it will come up with several very comprehensive instructions.
i use this method on all my garments and that includes show knitting as well. it is virtually and invisible seam and looks very professional.

·
Registered
10,064 Posts
berryshake said:
i use sewing machines and sergers on my knits all the time...especially for children's items as they take a beating and the machine stitching tends to be stronger...

·
Registered
50 Posts
I sew my seams by hand and on the right side, picking up the little "ladder" stitch in between the stitches. It makes a lovely seam on the inside. I haven't had a problem with it and the finished product looks professional. :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
when you mattress stitch sometimes it helps if the yarn you use to sew up is finer than the main yarn. did you use the ladder between the first and second stitch on both sides of the garment as if you use more than one complete stitch the seam will become bulky.
another approach is to turn the garment inside out and gently steam the seam by holding the iron about 3-4 inches above the garment. be careful not to stretch it when doing this. i find that if you gently pat it you will be able to gauge whether it is the desired effect you are after. i hope that this will help you.

·
Registered
22,470 Posts
yes, i was careful to pick up the ladders appropriately.
i think your suggestion to use a thinner yarn sounds good. if the yarn isn't exactly the same color it shouldn't be a problem since the stitch is pretty invisible.

what do you mean to pat the garment to assess the effect? are you saying that patting the garment flattens the seam?

·
Registered
31 Posts
in effect when you steam a garment you are blocking it so that you get the optimum effect for your work. yes you will flatten the seams and also even out any minor unevenness that might have occurred by minor changes in tension. when you steam a garment it also softens it as well. let the garment dry before moving it as this sometimes will distort it as well.

·
Registered
10,064 Posts
lijero said:
When sewing seams with a machine, what size stitch do most of you use? Does it tend to bunch up at all? I've never thought of using my sewing machine. I just might try next time.
My machine has a range of stitch width from 1 to 4...i use 2 width and a similar length on a zig zag....just like i would if i were sewing a purchased knit fabric...the sts are small enough to allow the seam to open flat but the stretch is built into the shape of the stitch. (for clarity's sake, when sewing purchased knit fabric to make t-shirts, etc., i use a 1 width with a similar length...this is appropriate to a thinner fabric)

·
Registered
525 Posts
I've tried using a sewing machine and mine won't sew worsted weight, it got all bunched up, guess it was too thick. I would try it out on your gauge swatch first to make sure. It's tricky removing the thread from knitting! My sewing machine has an 'auto pressure foot' so I can't adjust it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom