Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a lovely lacy knitted shawl pattern but want to knit it on straight needles so it will need to be knit in pieces to get the size. I'm not having any luck finding anything - anyone got any ideas ?
Keep safe xxx
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,461 Posts
kvb said:
I'm looking for a lovely lacy knitted shawl pattern but want to knit it on straight needles so it will need to be knit in pieces to get the size. I'm not having any luck finding anything - anyone got any ideas ?
Keep safe xxx
All the shawls I have knitted have been on straight needles, no problem using fingering weight yarn.
I knit English style, or throwing as some folk call it, using 14" long needles.
Some of my shawls end up being quite large.
Try some of Dee's patterns.
A new one appeared just today on here.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,260 Posts
The only shawls that can't be knitted on straight needles are the full circle ones. It's just easier on circular needles because of the number of stitches involved.
That being said, I use circular needles or double pointed needles exclusively.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,305 Posts
Even if the instructions specify circular needles you are knitting flat on them and could do it on straight needles. You will just have to squeeze the stitches together which is why most people find circs more comfortable for this. I can't imagine a shawl with seams.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I know some folk work happily on circulars & whilst I do sometimes still by choice I'm not one of them & I just prefer straights especially for a project that will take sometime such as a large shawl.. Unfortunately the size of shawl I'm looking for the stitch count wouldn't fit on straights although I know I can adapt a pattern to knit in pieces but frankly was hoping someone might have something that would save me the effort. Oh well c'est la vie another good idea bites the dust.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,992 Posts
I knit all my "straight needle" shawls on circular needles. Much easier to handle the size and weight. Start on small cords and then just change up as you need more space on the needle.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,260 Posts
Circular needles also gave an additional advantage over straight ones, when you put your knitting up for the night(s) you can push all the stitches off the tips and onto the cable itself so the stitches don't get distorted.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,260 Posts
kvb said:
I know some folk work happily on circulars & whilst I do sometimes still by choice I'm not one of them & I just prefer straights especially for a project that will take sometime such as a large shawl.. Unfortunately the size of shawl I'm looking for the stitch count wouldn't fit on straights although I know I can adapt a pattern to knit in pieces but frankly was hoping someone might have something that would save me the effort. Oh well c'est la vie another good idea bites the dust.
There are also needles that are a combination of straight and circular called jumper needles. The tips are a bit longer than circular needle tips and they have about a foot of cable attached with a stopper at the end, the best of both worlds. I have 3 or 4 sets but honestly I've only used them once as I just grab my circulars.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,147 Posts
CALLI said:
All the shawls I have knitted have been on straight needles, no problem using fingering weight yarn.
I knit English style, or throwing as some folk call it, using 14" long needles.
Some of my shawls end up being quite large.
Try some of Dee's patterns.
A new one appeared just today on here.
I agree absolutely.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,235 Posts
kvb said:
I'm looking for a lovely lacy knitted shawl pattern but want to knit it on straight needles so it will need to be knit in pieces to get the size. I'm not having any luck finding anything - anyone got any ideas ?
Keep safe xxx
I start my shawls on 2 needles, and when there are too many sts to knit comfortably, I go to 2 circular needles and use them a super long straights.

I put the largest need at one end of two cables, so my sts won't fall off the end and of course the correct size at the other end.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
93,689 Posts
My mum used to use her straight needles for large shawls and blankets all the time, I much prefer to use circular needles and do for everything I don't have any straight needles out I have a few in a box somewhere but must find to donate so someone else might get some use
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ggmomliz said:
There are also needles that are a combination of straight and circular called jumper needles. The tips are a bit longer than circular needle tips and they have about a foot of cable attached with a stopper at the end, the best of both worlds. I have 3 or 4 sets but honestly I've only used them once as I just grab my circulars.
I've never heard of these - I'll have a look & see what I can find although I bet they'll be expensive. I like the idea of the longer tips as that's one of the things I don't like about circulars.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
scumbugusa said:
I start my shawls on 2 needles, and when there are too many sts to knit comfortably, I go to 2 circular needles and use them a super long straights.

I put the largest need at one end of two cables, so my sts won't fall off the end and of course the correct size at the other end.
Now that I hadn't thought of so I'll definitely give that a try. Thanks
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom