Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts
Discussion starter · #1 ·
Hello! My name is Jody and I am from northeastern Wisconsin -- where it is quite cold at the moment. I have lived in this area all my life, give or take 10 miles.
I began knitting when I was a child in the 1970's, and then in the later 1980's, I quit. Totally quit all hobbies as I was too busy to have a life. After a 20 year sabatical, I went back to knitting just to beat SAD/winter blahs, which seemed to get the best of me.

I am one who constantly has to stay busy, and not sit idle. I guess that means, I have many projects started (I won't even count how many more than 10 are currently in progress) -- I guess when the project is too big to fit in a tote bag, I know it is time to move on and have something small enough that I can work on during a lunch break.

My favorite things to knit are wool tote bags and sometimes afghans. I have yet to do a sweater, that worries me and I think I am afraid to fail at it. Knitting and felting with wool intruiges me to the max, especially if accompanied by a good cup of coffee.

I am the wife of one, mother of two. Married for 23 years, children are 16 and 12. My daughter also knits (she started, before I came out of my sabatical). I guess I should mention, there is no longer a yarn shop in my city... it shut down last summer and I have had to rely on Hobby Lobby or Wal*Mart, or drive 45 or more miles to the nearest yarn shop (well, that means, time that I can sip coffee and gaze at the countryside, right??).

Life is good! Well, it will be once winter leaves us...

Attachments

Discussion starter · #2 ·
Alright, I guess I could share the story behind the picture.

The Breakwater is one of the counties most splendid sites around here... I live along the Lake Michigan, and on a good day, I can walk to a place or park and sit and knit and look at this scene -- I like to think of walking out to the lighthouse as going to paradise.

When there is good weather, I like to sit outside, under a tree, and look at nature -- be it an old rambled down shack or a splendid lighthouse and lake like this...

Carpe Diem!

We share more than just a hobby!

Ive carrier bags with half finished projects hidden all over the house, I just get so enthused and obsessed with my next project I just have to start it!I think thats when my hobby started to become as much an addiction as that I have to coffee!!

One good thing is when I eventually feel guilty towards my unfinished/unloved masterpieces I find i end up finishing them all at once and have a pile of new garments to wear

Good luck with your knitting backlog

Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat!

Lesley

Discussion starter · #4 ·
Thanks, Lesley!

I wonder how many projects I really have started and not finished (right down to the tote bag that is done, but the I-cord is not)... I think I would freak out if I only knew!

Lately, I have had the most interesting winter. With a daughter on a gymnastics team that competes all around the state, I have had many weekends of sitting in the stands, watching and knitting. When the project gets too big I just start another one. Not good. Well, that means, when there is a four hour break inbetween her competition ending and awards ceremony -- guess who relies on the GPS and travels to the nearest yarn shop to only drool and gaze at projects and products in the store? Sadly, due to how times have been... I have been known to walk out empty handed, and be in tears. Oh well... that means, more coffee, back into the vehicle and to knit as my husband drives. I'm okay with that too.
For all the yarn I have horded up in boxes, I should be massacred!

;)

My hubbys sourced this mesh kinda bookcase, where he reckons I can (wait for it) display the treasured stash(my precious) He's also endeared himself at work and had a bespoke set of perspex sock blockers made up for me.

You must be thinking a match made in heaven..... a guy that understands my addiction? it gets better.... the Krupps coffee maker to keep the caffeine levels up as well !!

It took me a while to warm up to the title of your post but I'm glad I read it.

My sister passed away in January of 2009 (a day before her birthday) after a brief but deadly diagnosis. She was on vacation, away from home when she was struck and never made it back home. Her husband gave me the last item on her knitting needles. I finished it through many tears..and more than a few glasses of wine. It took me a year to even be able to pick it up..and another few months before I could actually work on it

courier770 said:
It took me a while to warm up to the title of your post but I'm glad I read it.

My sister passed away in January of 2009 (a day before her birthday) after a brief but deadly diagnosis. She was on vacation, away from home when she was struck and never made it back home. Her husband gave me the last item on her knitting needles. I finished it through many tears..and more than a few glasses of wine. It took me a year to even be able to pick it up..and another few months before I could actually work on it
my heart weeps for you.... I hope we, your fellow knitters, give you strength. Chris

I have a pile of hand sewing that is waiting for me to finish. I have said all winter i want to do them outside in my swing. I have two quilts i am working on and a sweater to finish up and started a afghan. Don't know why for waiting for spring but Michigan weather this winter was the pits. I do want to start a baby afghan. So lets keep working on our projects to finish them. Welcome from the middle of the mitten. This is a great site full of helps, inspiration, and like mined friends. Enjoy your stay.

Sallyflymi said:
I have a pile of hand sewing that is waiting for me to finish. I have said all winter i want to do them outside in my swing. I have two quilts i am working on and a sweater to finish up and started a afghan. Don't know why for waiting for spring but Michigan weather this winter was the pits. I do want to start a baby afghan. So lets keep working on our projects to finish them. Welcome from the middle of the mitten. This is a great site full of helps, inspiration, and like mined friends. Enjoy your stay.
OK :D today I take the 2 blankets with me !! time to finish them !! :roll:

I have lots of projects that I've never finished over the years. But recently have been diagnosed with cancer, so I've been "shopping" through my stash because I can't drive/work. Lots of memories arise with the opening of each bag. It is fun to finish those projects! Love reading your questions, answers and stories! While I've been knitting for years, you have taught me lots in the two weeks since I've joined! The winter in Minnesota has been long and cold...but this site makes it seem not quite so bad. Thank you!

While waiting in line to enter a class, some of us were talking about our UFO's (UnFinished Objects) when the woman behind me said SHE was working on her PHD --- Projects Half Done. Sounds good to me. I have bunches of them, too: knitting, crochet, beads for jewelry, fur coats to make into teddybears & rabbits, plus a full time business. Can we say, hyperactive?
No, just working on my PHD!

Jacquie said:
While waiting in line to enter a class, some of us were talking about our UFO's (UnFinished Objects) when the woman behind me said SHE was working on her PHD --- Projects Half Done. Sounds good to me. I have bunches of them, too: knitting, crochet, beads for jewelry, fur coats to make into teddybears & rabbits, plus a full time business. Can we say, hyperactive?
No, just working on my PHD!
LMAO Ive loads of PHDS, IM overqualified in never finishing anything!!!!, hyperactive and an insomniac coffee addict to boot!!

Boy am I in the right place I not only have MANY PHD's I have a mad passion for all things pertaining to sewing my beloved husband(now deceased)found my fabric stash when he started to lay some carpet in a spare bedroom. He came out and told me I needed some SERIOUS help that caused the biggest fuss we ever had he went for a long drive then came home and told me he was so sorry to get all the fabric I wanted if that made me happy.Bless him.2 other family with like habits wanted me to ask him to find us a shrink with a family plan.

sometimes I don't know whether to knit ,read or play games on the computer. I worked for 50 years and now I have time to relax. I am working on a white baby set. Stranded mittens, and an afghan. Also I bead and am working on a necklace. I can't pass a store without going in and buying yarn. I have already given a big stash away and I think the rest of it grew. I was thinking of making a baby pink blanket with hearts. I found the pattern on Ravelry. I had made one in yellow and gave it to the ministers wife. She had a baby 2 lbs and I felt so sorry for her.

Oh Ruby Slippers I understand your feelings about your beautiful lighthouse view. I have a spot on a lake here in Mass. that I say "restorith my soul"

I too have a history of unfinished projects. When I got married my mother sent many of our wedding gifts carefully wrapped in all my unfinished knitting projects. Forty years later nothing has changed.

Wecome to KP. You'll have fun.

Elaine

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom