Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone familiar with sally Melville,s knitting sheer fabric knitting? This is how it goes (right side rows knit all stitches onto a smaller needle .wrong side rows knit all stitches onto larger needle .then it says knit all stitches with smaller needle.does it mean to alternate between a size 5 and 10.5 needles for which is the size needles called for in the pattern .by the way the pattern is caddy,s sweater by sally melville thank you

·
Registered
15,118 Posts
Am familiar with that technique; but know it as Condo knitting. It was popular in the 70's and 80's. You use two different size needles, one small size and the other a much larger size. Looking closely at the Ravelry picture of Caddy's Sweater, it looks more like a dropped double yo stitch to me. I think it's because of the yarn that was used. The patterns I've seen using two different size needles use a very fine yarn and it's often mohair. It's more noticeable when done with a fine yarn to get an open airy look.

·
Registered
662 Posts
I knitted a sweater that had several dropped stitches in it. YO 3 times and drop, YO 2 times and drop. To get a smaller "drop" design, you alternate between size 5 and 10 needles. It wasn't labeled as "condo" knitting but worked out nicely.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Here's a video on the condo stitch which may answer your question. https://www.thesprucecrafts.com/learn-about-condo-knitting-2117076

In the Comments included with the video link, she says, "For variety, you could also knit several rows with the small needles before switching back to alternating between large and small." I would guess the instructions you're using mean you knit a row on small needles, a row on Large needles and then a row on small needles. When you follow that scheme, you will have two rows on small needles, then one on large needles, then two rows on small needles, etc.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Yup, condo knitting! I found this an effective way for a “lacy” look, but without all the yarnovers. Also, You can control the size of your lace by the variance between your needle sizes

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom