Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

· Registered
513 Posts
PattyAnn said:
Has anyone had the shingles without the pain?
Yes, a year ago last March. I had it on my forehead and in my right eye - very uncomfortable but no pain. My doctor put me on medication to deaden the nerves and it really helped. My son, who is an emergency room doctor, told me he sees cases of shingles at least once a week.

· Registered
772 Posts
Yes, not too bad. Had it on my face mostly, around eyes. Dr. prescribed an antiviral (?Zovirax??) within 72 hours and it went away quite quickly. We were booked on a cruise to Alaska the next week and it went well.

· Registered
1,146 Posts
I have had the shingles, twice! The first time it was in my left side, under my arm to my chest. It hurt so much I could hardly move. I stayed in bed over a week, I couldn't even get out to see my doctor, but talked to him on the phone. The second time it appeared in my left breast area and up in my neck. Not quite as painfull as the first, back got me down for another week. I have since got the shot and hope not to have shingles again.
Please ladies, get the shot, or you will be wishing for a shot instead to put you out of misery!

· Registered
2,191 Posts
Ellelleen said:
Please everyone get a Shingles vaccine. A bit pricey but...if you get shingles you will wish you had the vaccine. I've never has such pain and I'm not a wuss.
Personally-I would NOT get the vaccine.There are negatives to that also.

Boost your immune system with herbs,etc.Astragalus is an ancient Chinese herb,well researched ( Google for info) and inexpensive.Boosts 3 different kinds of interferon. I have a compromised immune system,after doing my research,have been on it continuously since 12/95!!Active lifestyle - exposed to all kinds of ? - horses,goats,dog,chickens,hiking,etc.Lots of scrapes,cuts,etc.NO infections.Because I had chicken pox as a child,carry the virus - and has shingles once,BEFORE I started taking on astragalus.

Dr. Andrew Weil and his books are a great resource!!He founded the Alternative Medical Program at U of Arizona Medical School years ago.Graduated from Harvard Medical School with an undergraduate degree in Botany.Traveled to many countries after medical school...and residencies..learning the ways of ancient peoples ,using the local plants,etc.

Just my own,well researched opinions on vaccines...and their inherent risks

· Registered
2,967 Posts
anthealb said:
I was lucky, no pain. It helped that I was already on Gabapentin (for back pain) and that I received the anti viral within 6 hours.
Getting treated immediately seems to be a key in shortening the symptoms. My BIL was told he waited too long for the treatment to be useful. He was out of work for more than a month.

· Registered
2,191 Posts
maur1011 said:
Getting treated immediately seems to be a key in shortening the symptoms. My BIL was told he waited too long for the treatment to be useful. He was out of work for more than a month.
I agree! Acyclovir ( think spelling is correct ) ,started immediately helps!!Also using Tea Tree Oil topically mediates the pain very well.Try it on a paper cut or bee sting!!

1 - 20 of 75 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom