Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am interested in knowing what your shipping preference is for the US only. I have only used USPS and have found that they are continually raising their rates to the point that I am considering using USP. As far as rates, which one has the least expensive rates?

·
Registered
42,303 Posts
I have only used USPS for shipping.
The rates have gone up, but in the past for example if mailing a 1st class package or parcel tracking was extra (I think $1.05), now it is included in the price. So the increase was less than what the tracking cost, and I don't mail anything without a tracking.

I think it also depends on what you are mailing a small package or a large box.

·
Registered
18,366 Posts
ajinga said:
I am interested in knowing what your shipping preference is for the US only. I have only used USPS and have found that they are continually raising their rates to the point that I am considering using USP. As far as rates, which one has the least expensive rates?
I frequently send packages to my 2 older daughters. I use the plain priority mail. They have asst.'d box and envelope sizes. You pay one set price. You can put as much as will fit in it. This is cost effective for me. You get the boxes and labels at your local post office.

·
Registered
364 Posts
If you use the boxes supplied by the post office the rate is set . Mailing within the US is quite reasonable I think .
Sending things to England or Ireland is so expensive ,about 24 dollars per pound . I wish I could find a cheaper way but I don't know any other shipping method .

·
Registered
9,462 Posts
cafeknitter said:
I frequently send packages to my 2 older daughters. I use the plain priority mail. They have asst.'d box and envelope sizes. You pay one set price. You can put as much as will fit in it. This is cost effective for me. You get the boxes and labels at your local post office.
I love the set price using their boxes. It is amazing what you can jam into those boxes.

·
Registered
7,339 Posts
desireeross said:
I use USPS for all my shipping. I still find even with the increase its reasonable. My parcels are quite small, up to 1 pound. I give my buyers the option of first class or priority. Sometimes priority works out cheaper for them.
Same here. Most of my packages are small. If under 13 Oz they go first class mail. 2-3 days delivery with free tracking. Never send priority in the flat rate boxes/envelopes unless the item is really heavy. Look for or ask for the regular priority containers and pay by weight. You can choose to send anything priority. They just put priority stickers/labels on your package. Regular parcel post can be reasonable too especially if you tightly pack the items into the smallest container possible. The clerks are usually very helpful and will advise you of the most economical way.
I found that shipping UPS or FedEx would have been a lot more expensive for my needs.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
USPS all the time. The Post Office also will show up with a package on Sundays if UPS won't deliver it and it was promised to be here within 2-3 days. We were surprised a couple Sundays ago when our regular mail carrier showed up with one of my orders. She said that since UPS doesn't drive on Sundays the company that I purchased the item from on Amazon switched the shipping choice to the Post Office and honored the 2-day shipping that I got for free.
My packages that I send out for my customers rarely cost more than $3.50 which includes insurance and tracking. I use the melamine envelopes that I buy on eBay for somewhere around .25 per envelope.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I also use the USPS flat rate boxes if I am shipping something heavy. I sent some lightweight goodies to my granddaughter in Missouri but used my box and priority shipping. It was $3 cheaper than the flat rate box they would have fit in. I find USPS cheaper than UPS or FedEx.

·
Registered
16,758 Posts
USPS flat rate boxes are usually a shipping bargain. UPS wants me to pay for an upgrade or wait an extra day for delivery. That's no bargain. FED-EX drivers have run off if I don't answer the door in less than 20 seconds. That's impossible for me in my decrepit old age. I've had packages returned to shipper by FED-EX and never saw my order again. Both UPS and FED-EX have left a few packages propped against my screened front porch door where I cannot see them. (My screened porch door has a solid bottom.) USPS always puts packages inside my screened porch door. I vote for USPS.

·
Registered
7,339 Posts
JudieG said:
Be careful with the flat rate boxes @ USPS. They could cost more than necessary. All depends on the weight of your items.
Very true as I noted in my previous post. One time I accidently used a priority flat rate envelope for a baby outfit and a knit toy. Flat rate cost was about $12. I realized my mistake when I got home. Boy was I mad at myself. Non flat rate for the next set I sent priority by weight was less than $5. Now I scrutinize the package very carefully before using.

·
Registered
14,696 Posts
USPS, Priority mail, if it fits, it ships boxes. By printing your labels at home you save even more.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom