Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I have surprised myself. My mum's cardi sleeves had stretched too long for her so I googled up how to shorten them and amazingly it has worked, I am so pleased to have done it and to have learned another useful technique.

I have hopefully attached a photo of the finished project showing the amount I had to cut off of both sleeves.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,340 Posts
Well done, that is clever to be able to cut it off like that. Bet your mum was pleased. I am sure I would have dropped stitches everywhere.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Irene Kidney said:
Well done, that is clever to be able to cut it off like that. Bet your mum was pleased. I am sure I would have dropped stitches everywhere.
Actually the method is very simple. I had to unpick the sleeve seams and then measured the amount to remove then go above that and pick up the stitches onto 4mm needle before cutting then just knit as required from there on the google/youtube demo was very helpful.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, but you are right the scissors hovered before I got up the nerve to go for it. It is my first attempt so it's not perfect but at least mum can wear her cardi now without rolling the cuffs up a couple of times.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Frannyward said:
WOW You did a fantastic job. You were so very brave to do it. I would be too scared to attempt it.
Thank you for your kind words, I didn't rush into it I had to ponder and watch the video a couple of times before having a go.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Brave woman and a lovely job. I've had to do this many times as I'm a well-endowed petite woman, so everything pre-made is always too long. I've also gotten brave enough on very fine knits to machine-sew a stabilizing line, then cut below and either roll up and stitch a fine hem, or roll up and crochet an edging around the rolled-up edge. Where there's a will there's usually a way!

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Patricia Cecilia said:
Brave woman and a lovely job. I've had to do this many times as I'm a well-endowed petite woman, so everything pre-made is always too long. I've also gotten brave enough on very fine knits to machine-sew a stabilizing line, then cut below and either roll up and stitch a fine hem, or roll up and crochet an edging around the rolled-up edge. Where there's a will there's usually a way!
Well thank you for your useful advice about adapting other types of knitted garments too, hopefully I will be able to use your methods when required. Aren't we always learning something new on this site ?

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
everreddy said:
Well I have surprised myself. My mum's cardi sleeves had stretched too long for her so I googled up how to shorten them and amazingly it has worked, I am so pleased to have done it and to have learned another useful technique.

I have hopefully attached a photo of the finished project showing the amount I had to cut off of both sleeves.
Yes I did that too to my husbands cardigan, they had stretched BIG time, I measured the correct length put a lifeline above it and then just cut it off and hey presto

·
Registered
23,222 Posts
everreddy said:

Good for you!!!
Jane

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
frostyfranny said:
Couldn't you have just unpicked the cast off edge and pulled it out till it was the right length? No cutting required and you would have kept all that lovely pattern
The point is that the amount cut off was surplus to requirements so the pattern would have been altered anyway. I haven't tried to unravel from the bottom up only from the top down.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
everreddy said:

You have done what I would have done well done and good on you. :thumbup:

·
Registered
11,536 Posts
frostyfranny said:
Couldn't you have just unpicked the cast off edge and pulled it out till it was the right length? No cutting required and you would have kept all that lovely pattern
I think this cardigan was already assembled, so this was the best way to do it.
If the cardigan wasn't already assembled you could do it the way you suggested.
I think she was very brave.....I would have unpicked the seams and did what you suggested, but it would have taken so much more time.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
JOhio said:
That looks great! Could you post a link to the YouTube video you used? That would be terrific!
Hello I'm sorry I don't k now how to post a link but I can tell you how I found it and hope that will help you.

I went onto the internet and typed in 'how to shorten knitted sleeves' then I chose the option as below.

It is on the 'Knitting Daily' site and comes up as
Oops! how to lengthen or shorten a sweater. Click on the play arrow for the video which also has other interesting advice too.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom