Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Discussion starter · #1 ·
One of our very experienced knitters sent me the following information on knitting horizontal darts in lace...It seems this would also work when knitting shortrows in lace or other stitch styles on sideways knit garments...

"On the Brother machine you have all those "gate pegs" in front of the needles, so put them to some use.
lets say you want to put 40 needles into holding postion each side (or if you just want to practice only do it on one side) use your single eye latch tool and put each of those 40 stitches (or whatever you want to play with) onto an individual gate peg. if you are doing lace work then do the transfers onto the gate pegs before you move your lace carriage (the required number of times for the pattern)and then knit 2 rows
then if you put the number of stitches back for part of the short row (say 10, and of course next to the needles in WP)
you would then be ready to do the lace carriage movement again.
in the exercise of using the 40sts you would then repeat the procedure until all stitches are back on the main bed thus completing your short rowing of the 40stitches.
of course needless to say this is a little more time consuming but it did work for me when i did it so many years ago.
this also works even if you are doing just plain knitting and want to introduce a sideways dart.
i hope you don't find this too confusing as it is much harder to write about than actually doing it.
if you find it useful and can explain it better for other machine knitters then feel free to pass it on.
Let me know how you get on with this."

If you have a one of the original standard gauge garter bar sets you would be able to put the "40" sts on the bar and hang the bar from your gate pegs. From the gbar it would be easy to move multiple sts back to the needles with a transfer tool...

I wonder how this technique would work for adding shape to a sideways knit jacket or sweater, any ideas?

When a hold is necessary in patterned knitting, vertical or sideways, the holdng needles can be knitted back to nonworking using a cast-on cord, and then pulled back into use as required, wrapping to avoid an unwanted hole, of course. This is the method I was shown years ago and use especially for sideways knit shaped skirts which include lace or coloured knit sections.

Elis said:
When a hold is necessary in patterned knitting, vertical or sideways, the holdng needles can be knitted back to nonworking using a cast-on cord, and then pulled back into use as required, wrapping to avoid an unwanted hole, of course. This is the method I was shown years ago and use especially for sideways knit shaped skirts which include lace or coloured knit sections.
Now that you have mentioned this I have remembered doing it this way myself. There is so much that can be done on a knitting machine that if I haven't done something for a long time I simply forget. Must be old age or the thyroid's playing up again. :lol: Back to plan one and the ravel cord.
Thanks for the memory jog, Sue.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom