Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
15,124 Posts
The only good thing about Yarnspirations is that you can find free patterns for all the yarn brands in one place. All the patterns I've seen there are free; but not sure if they have paid ones.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Spinrite is the parent company of Yarnspirations. They are the largest yarn manufacturer in Canada and say they are North America's largest marketer of craft yarn. The original business was started in 1914 but became Spinrite in 1952. it is most probably cheaper to make all the yarns under one roof if that is what they are planning but one would think that they would not buy a business unless they were planning to keep it going.

Coats who owned amongst others Red Heart was taken over by Spinrite In January 2019. Approximately 560 staff of Coats were taken over by Spinrite in Albany, Toccoa and Douglas Georgia. But speaking of Red Heart did you know that only 7 of their products are actually made in the US?

·
Registered
6,724 Posts
knittedfrog said:
Or would it be better if the smaller companies went out of business?
I would rather have choices, despite the fact that Yarnspirations is becoming a conglomerate.
Yes, I usually prefer for companies to have competitors too, it just seems better for the consumer. Too bad we don't have a say :). Let's hope Yarnspirations keeps all of the brands going.

·
Premium Member
81,245 Posts
targa416 said:
Yes, I usually prefer for companies to have competitors too, it just seems better for the consumer. Too bad we don't have a say :). Let's hope Yarnspirations keeps all of the brands going.
So far, they have kept the recognized brand names, but dropped many of the lines of yarns they had once produced, and 'lost' many of the patterns that once were available.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Most companies seem to buy out their competition and then, over time, do away with the products offered by those companies. It seems to me that in the long run, we won't have as many yarn choices.

·
Registered
10,603 Posts
Spinrite used to be a reliable company. They bought Patons out years ago.
It is really too bad that monopolies are not controlled. Everything is made by the same few companies these days.

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
Yarnsub, that marvellous site, sends out a newsletter, maybe once a month. Every issue lists dozens of the latest discountinued yarns. I don't know how many people knit now, compared to the past, but businesses have to stay profitable. Production was shifted to Turkey in many cases. I don't know about you, but I won't spend $12 or $9 for a 50 gr ball of sock yarn.
As JJ said, Yarnspirations keeps the old company names, but yarns disappear on a daily basis from all manufacturers.

·
Registered
767 Posts
laceluvr said:
The only good thing about Yarnspirations is that you can find free patterns for all the yarn brands in one place. All the patterns I've seen there are free; but not sure if they have paid ones.
And I have used many of yarnspirations patterns without any problems, Compared to ravelry where there is very often errors in the pattern..

·
Premium Member
3,375 Posts
I have supported the local sheep, llama, and alpaca farmers since they started selling at the farmer's market, also support my LYS. It's not the only place I buy yarn but mostly they fulfill my needs. I am lucky to live in an area that has all these farmers.

·
Registered
42,304 Posts
BarbaraSD said:
With Yarnspiations buying up the various yarn companies?
They have taken over most of the major companies

not sure there are many more they can take over at this point. Seems they already have most of them.

Maybe the only one they haven't is Lion Brand and don't think they will

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom