Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just finished sorting my yarn stash. I would love to find a pattern for a cardigan or kimono-type sweater that is knitted side to side so that the stripes made from various yarns would be vertical on my body rather than horizontal. Any suggestions would be appreciated for free or paid patterns. Thank you.

·
Registered
9,165 Posts
Check Sally Melville books from the library. Her first book, "The Knitting Experience, Book 1" has a very unusual sweater that can be knit with or without sleeves and is asymmetric in shape. The sweater will lend itself very well to a stash challenge.

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
My favorite side-to-side cardigan is the Weekend Jacket by Sandi Prosser . . . available as a pattern on Ravelry or as a kit on Craftsy. I made mine in Amazing by Lion Brand Yarns, and my color looks just like that shown in the pattern photo. I'll look up the yarn and locate the name of the color.

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/weekend-jacket-5

http://www.craftsy.com/supplies/search?query=Weekend%20Jacket

Before purchasing this pattern, I advise reading as many of the project postings on Ravelry as you have time for. There are some sizing issues, and careful attention must be paid to the size of your pattern pieces as you progress. If you have not worked side-to-side before, it requires a different mind-set . . . always remembering the direction of the stripes in relation to the body shape.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
I've made a shawl with sleeves using the side-to-side method but never thought of making a sweater. I'm thinking you could make up a simple pattern yourself. If you know your gauge with the yarn you want to use, just picture starting at the cuff of one sleeve, working up to shoulder, carefully make your neckline depending on whether or not you want a cardigan or a pull-over and then reverse your way through the other shoulder, sleeve and cuff.

I'd start by draining what my sweater would look like when laying it flat before sewing the side Sean and then the selves together. You could even play with using some decorative stitches taking note where you put these decorative stitches on the first half of the sweater so that you repeat them on in the second half in the same place.

I might try this in a child's size sweater first.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts

·
Registered
8,110 Posts
You may want to look over the workshops here on KP. Earlier this year, there was one for the kind of cardi you are looking for. There is a post above mine with KP links, be sure to check them out!

p.s.- here is a KP link for a "conversation" about what turned out to be a cardi that was both up-and-down, and side to side. Be sure to look at the pictures of participants projects, lots of ideas. I've learned from sad experience that you have to be very careful about side to side knitting, this thread has a few tips to help keep the side-to-side part from stretching out of shape and hanging badly.

http://www.knittingparadise.com/t-396124-1.html

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
I had a really hard time finding a pattern for a side to side cardigan that I liked. I had been saving up skeins of the Crazy Yarn from Stonehedge Fiber Mill. I finally found a pattern from Knitting Pure & Simple. It is #1302 Top Down Drape Front Cardigan. I am knitting it now. The stripes are horizontal but because of the way the front is knit they come out as diagonal. I am loving it! I had a question on the pattern and was able to make a phone call to them and had the answer in one minute. You can Google Knitting Pure & Simple and see a photo.

·
Registered
8,110 Posts
MsHeirloom said:
Thanks! So far I have ordered two books. I can't find the workshop that Joyce mentioned.
The link I posted right above your post is for a "conversation" that doesn't appear in the list of workshops. Throughout this thread, there is a lot of very good information about the techniques used in side to side knitting and using various yarns. Note that this design is not knit from cuff to cuff. Only the lower part of the cardi is knit side to side, and the pros and cons are discussed in the thread. Pictures posted are very inspiring, so don't skip them. Before anyone begins a side to side project, looking over this thread will give you a heads up about what to watch out for in this type of pattern. I didn't make the cardi along with the thread because I had done something similar before. I wasn't happy with the result of that project, and some of the other participants were able to give me some suggestions that would have helped. Sadder but wiser, I suppose!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom