Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, my name is Wasunwillingclock aka Deborah. I'm a single mom of three boys, well...two men and one boy now.
I knit, crochet from time to time, and am buying my first spinning wheel this month. YAY ME!!
My current projects on the neddles are an 'Origami Pullover' by Linda Daniels at Frog Tree Yarns. Using Malabrio Sock yarn in Ochre and I'm 95% done.
'frida' shawl by Elsebeth Lavold in the Designer's Choice Book 17 collection. Using Elsebeth Lavold's Silky Wool in color 53, a dark olive green. About 25% done on that.
And finally (if I don't go looking in those tucked away bags) the dress part of Graphite duo by Ann McCauley in Knitter's Magazine Fall 2010 issue. Do that up in Cascade 'Venezia' worsted color 123, dark olive green. If this turns out nice it will be my wedding dress next June. So needless to say this is the one I do most of my knitting on at the moment.
It's nice to find a place to ask my sometimes silly, but oh so important to me, questions about knitting stuff.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Who knows, maybe we already have? Do you go to any of the stitch and bitch's ? (bitches, bitchs, ...no, you know what I meant)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi there!
I am originally from MI but in NC now.
My sister has a farm in LaSalle, MI with sheep.
We want to buy spinning wheels but have no idea what a good one for a newbie is.
What kind of spinning wheel are you getting?
How did you figure out which one to get?
Blessings,
Denise

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi RoseOfSharonDesigns2,
I'm a transplanted Washingonian myself, 29 years in Washington state and then to Michigan by way of Southern California.
My niece showed me how to spin one day. I don't learn anything first thing, first time...but the second time she tried to teach me it went much better. She loaned me her Babe Pinkie, a cute little travel wheel made out of PCV pipe. http://www.babesfibergarden.com/
Then I went to a few stitch & bitch sessions and 99% of the women who had wheels where overjoyed to let me try out their wheels when they learned I was in the market.
But I also did alot of research online, the easiest site to compare on is the Woolery, https://www.woolery.com/Store/pc/home.asp
I am buying my wheel from them too. (Free shipping) But I made a spreadsheet on my computer and listed all the features each wheel offered along with cost and extras so I could compare all the points that were important to me in one place. That really helped cut down on my confusion.
I decided on a Lendrum Original the complete package for $622, kind of pricey for my first wheel, but I really loved it the couple of times I tried other peoples'.
The Pinkie is a short compact wheel, real light weight, easy to transport, but the Lendrum Original is taller, and if you look at it from the side you will notice that it has quite a lean on it. I found the lean made me sit up straight, which is much easier on my back, and you can see the bobbin as it fills so you know when to adjust the guides to fill it evenly. I decided on the double treadle, some people like the single, but I like using both feet.
Hope that isn't too much info, but you did ask! ;)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
blonde20fan said:
Hi Wasunwilling. I am in Muskegon also. Maybe we could get together and knit/crochet sometime.
What are you working on at the moment? I love looking at other peoples projects, inspires me.
I haven't found a group of knitters in Muskegon yet, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't be willing to start one, even if it's only a couple of people at first (these things tend to grow).

·
Registered
15 Posts
This is what I am working on for an order.
He looks so proud of himself that he found a pot of gold!
Also and Santa and Mrs. Clause with Rodolph and a little pony.
Amigurumi(Japanese for stuffed toy) is my favorite right now.
I like doing miniature...knits up fast and looks cute.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Welcome to the forum....it sounds like you are very experienced knitter.....That's good for me....I need lot's of help. : )

·
Registered
59 Posts
HEY YOU, WAY OUT THERE......I'VE BE LOOM KNITING ALL DAY. A KID'S HAT W/UBER-SOFT YARN THATS A GORGEOUS VARIGATED PLUM, GREY, BLUE AND VIOLET COLORS. THE BLANKET IS A STRIP FOR ADDING TO A BLANKET I'M TRYING. THIS PINK/BLUE COMBINATION GOES BEAUTIFULLY. :roll:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom