Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the first time, I am using a yarn with variegated colors (madelinetosh, so hand dyed). When I join yarn from the next hank, should I worry about matching a color sequence? FWIW, I have been looking for one and there is nothing obvious.

·
Registered
7,297 Posts
gdhavens said:
I would make sure I knit from the second skein the same as the first; if you worked from the outside on the first, work from the outside on the second. Other than that, I don't think it should show.
This doesn't always work. I had one yarn that some of the sequences started from the middle, some from the outside. Since the sequence needed to be the same throughout, I had to pull out several yards to determine where to start. Kind of a pain, but it worked in the end. It was a baby blanket, so it had to have the same order of stripes. At least, I thought so.

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
Dcsmith77 you are correct. If using self-striping yarn, I would be more particular. When I think Variegated, I think variety and no true "patterning". There are so many variables when working with these yarns, needle size/gauge, number of sts cast on, etc. that I just go with the randomness. I think that is why I enjoy using variegated yarns, no two are the same.

·
Registered
4,992 Posts
My experience with Madelinetosh yarns, is that you have to use two balls at once, alternating rows, or you will see the color change. Here is my example, which I didn't notice until I photographed it. I didn't alternate the hanks, and it is quite noticeable.

Attachments

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
marciawm said:
My experience with Madelinetosh yarns, is that you have to use two balls at once, alternating rows, or you will see the color change. Here is my example, which I didn't notice until I photographed it. I didn't alternate the hanks, and it is quite noticeable.
Wow, thanks for the photo! I also can see the color change in your project. I'm not sure it will be as noticeable on my yarn, as I haven't been able to notice a sequence. I'm about to start the second skein. Here is a picture, in case sharper eyes than mine can spot a sequence.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,049 Posts
I don't - I just join them as they come.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom