Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a used singer carriage, I have cleaned it up some, but it really needs a deep cleaning. I can still see little fibers around some of the little wheels and in the nooks and crannies. I know how to take off the cover, but what's the best thing to use to get off the old grease and oil from years of use.

Thanks,
Rhonda

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Get the 90% alcohol spirits not the 40%. It has very little water.

susieknitter said:
To clean the metal parts on my machines I use Surgical Spirit. It's alcohol based, so it will not damage the metal, but removes all dirt and oil.

·
Registered
383 Posts
If you cannot get an alcohol based cleaner, here is what I was told for the Toyota machine I had but never used as the bed also had problems. But this person did state to take the plastic cover off as you know, then put the handle back on. Next put it in as hot tap water with some soap for about 10 or 15 minutes. But then when you take the carriage out, you need to DRY it completely. She told me to use a hair dryer. I had my husband take that carriage out to the garage and he used the air compressor until all water was gone. Now if you don't have an air compressor, then using a hair dryer on the low setting but then just make sure there is no water left. Then you can lube the carriage normally.
Now back with my first SK155, I took it to a repair man and he did use WD40 on the carriage and also the bed to clean it up. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for all the great information. I also found something from Northtipton that Frank Saunders has a DVD on deep cleaning your machine and the garter Carriage. I just ordered it this morning.
Rhonda

·
Registered
800 Posts
I wonder. My guess would be that it depends on what cause the yellowing: age or heat. And if it was heat, would the system work? Would it harm the microwave I you tried it without wetting the inside?

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
My yellowing microwave was caused by my son, who was drinking at the time and tried to microwave some buttered bread. I didn't get to catch it in time before it started smoking. I googled ways to clean it, but nothing worked.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom